On tremolo blocks

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 830
edited August 2019 in Making & Modding
When a tremolo block is replaced it usually

1. Has a nicer tremolo arm fit with less wobble (delrin sleeves etc)
2. Is bigger and heavier than the old one (usually a half size zinc block)

Taking those two factors out of the equation has anyone replaced a full size zinc block with a steel / brass / titanium block and been able to appreciate a significant sonic difference?

I'd be very curious to know...

Jay
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1598
    edited August 2019
    It was a long time ago but I swapped the light weight block on my 1986 MIJ '57 reissue Strat for a Callaham steel block and it sounds 'better'. It's had the new block on for longer than the original so the difference is hard to remember but it was basically more sustain and more full sounding.  It's basically a better Strat now.

And the arm is rock solid with no wobble!
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I rep!aced the pot metal block in an Ibanez Lo Pro Edge with a big brass block from KGC about 8 or 9 years ago. Definitely sounded better with more sustain, bigger but still tight low end and clear but smooth treble.
  • I replaced the full size zinc alloy block on a Mexican Std trem with a full size steel block from Kev Hurley - the steel block just sounds bigger without the 'plink' that the zinc block had.

Steel isn't necessarily the best though. Following that success I also put a steel block on a maple neck partscaster Strat, and whilst it also sounded big, it was too bright. That guitar now has a brass block, which has pulled back the treble and balanced that guitar. I guess understanding your guitar is critical before choosing steel or brass, though I'd guess steel is right in the majority of cases. 

Of course, if you have hot pickups, play with a ton of gain, or have a very processed sound you might miss the differences, but I can hear them whilst playing unplugged. To my mind, changing pickups will probably make a more dramatic tonal difference, particularly if you made a dramatic change (e.g. vintage to hot). However, without a decent trem system, I don't think you hear 100% of what your pickups have to offer. The difference a quality block makes is difficult to describe, but I feel the guitar has a bigger sound with more authority - I guess there is more going on in the low mids and the delivery of the sound is different - dynamics I suppose? Personally, I need to have the trem sorted first before I can make an objective decision about pickups. Other folks seem happy to spend money swapping out pickups and ignore the trem - each to their own and all that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Somebody at the Seymour Duncan User Group forum did a comparison between zinc, steel, brass and the - then, new - Stone Tone sustain blocks for Floyd Rose double locking vibrato bridges. IIRC, the thread included audio examples. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Swapped a Mexican 2008 Standard Strat block for a Callaham bridge and block assembly. The MiM 2008 models had a bigger trem block so I was  slighlty hesitant and have previously tried a Wilkinson which I immediately took out as it wasn't as good.

The Callaham is first class, but expensive. It does make a tonal difference and is brighter but it's super smooth and stable, I'd thoroughly recommend it. 
  • I once replaced a MIJ block with a steel one but not much was different. I was expecting a bigger change TBH
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 830

You may find this interesting. 

My Gotoh 510 Tremolo Strat sounded dull (less treble) both acoustically and amplified compared to my hardtail Strat. So I swapped out the zinc FST block for a identical steel FST block (made for me by Kevin Hurley). I put the same strings back on - that was a bit of a faff

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    jaymenon said:

I put the same strings back on - that was a bit of a faff

I thought I was the only person in the world stupid enough to do that! All in the name of science...

It’s easiest if you use an old biro tube or the one you get with a can of WD-40 - poke the tube down through the bridge, fit the end of the string into it, then push the string through and the tube will guide it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27146
    I put a full Callaham unit in my bits Strat and it was night and day, and that was going from a Wilkinson bridge with heavy block before it. Obviously I can't say what impact was the block and what was the rest of the bridge, but it definitely made a (good) difference
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    ICBM said:
    t’s easiest if you use an old biro tube or the one you get with a can of WD-40 - poke the tube down through the bridge, fit the end of the string into it, then push the string through and the tube will guide it.
    What a brilliant idea, I reuse strings all the time when trying out new parts and it's always a faff.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 830
    ICBM said:
    jaymenon said:

I put the same strings back on - that was a bit of a faff

I thought I was the only person in the world stupid enough to do that! 
     No John, I’m just as stupid, you’re in good company...!