Mex Standard vs Tone Rider vs ???

What's Hot
Hi folks
I have become a recent and fervent Strat player and my day to day gigging guitar is a 2004 Mexican Strat...

I would like to experiment with some different pickups, as the stock Mex ones can sound a little dead and "un-Stratty". I know that I like the sound of the Squier Classic Vibe 60s (I believe the p'ups are Toneriders?) and the Fender Classic Series.

What are your best suggestions for replacements?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Oil City. Everything I've had from Ash has been stellar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Oil City. Everything I've had from Ash has been stellar. 
    Thanks! Have heard of the brand before - will check em out!
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Pribora voodoo
     Better than all the stock strat pups or others I've tried
    Cant say if they're comparable to Ash's as I've not tried his yet.
    When logic and proportion
  • Pribora voodoo
     Better than all the stock strat pups or others I've tried
    Cant say if they're comparable to Ash's as I've not tried his yet.
    Blimey, cheap too! Thanks!
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2965
    tFB Trader
    Another shout for Priboras, thought they were great.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    Toneriders are fine and have differing sets for differing sounds .They are fitted  stock to Chinese Classic Vibes and do a good job .My own partscaster has Maida Vale strat pickups for a warmer jazzy blues sound on the neck A3,A4 middle ,A2 bridge, pickup  while still retaining a definitive strat sound ..
  • Irongear...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9745
    edited August 2019
    I’ve got a set of OilCity StoneTones (with a baseplate fitted to the bridge unit) fitted to my 2015 MIM Std Strat. I can’t recommend them highly enough - far more organic and richer sounding than the original ceramic jobbies but still recognisably Stratty.

(Also, around the same time the original alloy sustain block made way for a Callaham steel one. The differences are fairly subtle but definitely there. There is a slight increase in sustain as well as a bit more ‘zinginess’ to the sound.) 

This is now absolutely my go-to guitar and one I don't envisage ever selling.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6752
    Pribora voodoo 
    +1. I have a set in my Mexican Strat and they sound and feel excellent. Alnico 5s in a good way. 

I am sure that Oil City are amazing too but I have yet to try some. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17681
    tFB Trader
    Oil City are great.

Alegree are also good and very well priced.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10732
    tFB Trader
    HAL9000 said:
    I’ve got a set of OilCity StoneTones (with a baseplate fitted to the bridge unit) fitted to my 2015 MIM Std Strat. I can’t recommend them highly enough - far more organic and richer sounding than the original ceramic jobbies but still recognisably Stratty.

(Also, around the same time the original alloy sustain block made way for a Callaham steel one. The differences are fairly subtle but definitely there. There is a slight increase in sustain as well as a bit more ‘zinginess’ to the sound.) 

This is now absolutely my go-to guitar and one I don't envisage ever selling.

Just to let folks know what StoneTones are: They use the half grade of wire between 42 and 43awg to maintain the tone while allowing the power to go up. 7.2k 7,2k and 10k at the bridge. Think Pink Floyd style at the bridge ... SRV style in neck and middle ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message