Dommenget Mastercaster, 4200EUR, no attention to detail?!

What's Hot
daisie_guitardaisie_guitar Frets: 129
edited September 2019 in Guitar
https://ibb.co/9T3Q3Pv

Do you see anything weird in this picture or does that fretwork looks high-end? I masked the inlay to avoid biased answers...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think this is the full-resolution pic: https://ibb.co/9T3Q3Pv
  • Nah, you have to click the "load full resolution" button in the middle to load it...
  • Crowns look a bit flat?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673

I masked the inlay to avoid biased answers...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

I masked the inlay to avoid biased answers...

Not even close. My pics are taken from a brand new guitar...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Crowns look a bit flat to me as well.

Need to look at it from more angles though.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    Reminds me of the old Les Paul Custom. Fret profile
  • Ok, to me it looks like a lot was filed down from the upper end of first 3 or so frets, from right to left. like if the radius was not done right and the luthier compensated by filing down the frets. What do you folks think of that?
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    Hard to tell from one photo from only one angle TBH.
    Ok, to me it looks like a lot was filed down from the upper end of first 3 or so frets, from right to left. like if the radius was not done right and the luthier compensated by filing down the frets. What do you folks think of that?
    Since my attempt at humour didn't seem to quite hit the mark...

Although the photo resolution isn't good enough to be completely sure, I would say that the frets are unevenly dressed and/or uneven heights - for example, the 12th fret is less heavily dressed in the middle of the fingerboard - compare the 11th, 12th and 13th frets under the G string; and the 13th and 14th frets under the low E string - the 13th is lower and more flatted if you look at the reflection of the string.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23143
    OK, so what guitar is it?
  • Philly_Q said:
    This photo might answer that, next question: does that inlay with that much filling material around the abalone look like it's supposed to be on a 4300EUR guitar?

https://ibb.co/zWcq7xd
  • Philly_Q said:
    This photo might answer that, next question: does that inlay with that much filling material around the abalone look like it's supposed to be on a 4300EUR guitar?

https://ibb.co/zWcq7xd
    I’ve had £400 Chinese made guitars with less filling around complex inlays.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    daisie_guitar said:

Still none the wiser as to the brand, but it's worse than the one in that £139 guitar I was joking about... and they were well-known for filler around the fish inlay.

The lacquer ripple alongside the frets indicates that the slots have been cut roughly too. If it wasn't new I would guess it had been refretted.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's a Dommenget Mastercaster, 4250EUR, posted a link to its Reverb page, apparently that post needs approval...
  • Was trying to link to the picture with the back of the headstock showing the unaligned tuning machines, that comment too requires approval. 
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    I wish I could afford that guitar ...I would buy a better car with the money, and  a Squier Bullet hard tail.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2965
    tFB Trader

Flat fret crowns, crude-looking, scratchy/grubby.
    Inlays prepped by mini JCB.

"Mastercaster" - cute name.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23143
    Matthias Jabs signature model, I see.
  • It's a Dommenget Mastercaster, 4250EUR, posted a link to its Reverb page, apparently that post needs approval...
    I’m not sure I want to approve them....