The Captain Meets...... Tommy

What's Hot
MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
What a great way to spend an hour listening to someone very very gifted and talented. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP8PFZDznBE
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10896
    His playing blows me away every time. Thanks for sharing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    Can't beat Tony Enamel, what a player!!
  • And a great storyteller as well. What a bloke...
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Makes it look quite easy, doesn't he?
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 629
    Excellent playing aside, I always love interviews with Tommy. He seems genuinely passionate about everything he does and is always entertaining. 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited September 2019
    Heard a few of those tales on his guitar camp last year. Was a privilege to sit and watch him play up close 4 days (and nights) straight. Saw his gig in Perth earlier this year too.

He’s a very unique mix of talent, superhuman energy and hard work, an excellent ear for a good tune and magnetic charisma.

And fecking massive hands!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TE's next UK dates are February 2020. https://tommyemmanuel.com/tours/
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Great video. What a player!
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• I've watched loads of Tommy videos. 

I think Tommy and Guthrie are the 2 guitarists who when I watch them play,  I'm open mouthed in awe and can't work out how they're actually achieving what they're playing so precisely.  Immensely talented. 

They are both at the top of the tree in their respective domains as far as I'm concerned. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
    Wonderful interview and player
  • Well worth watching. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Thoroughly enjoyed that.  Thanks for posting.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Amazing talent.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    After that Video Lee Anderton is now hiring a dedicated acoustic demonstrator if anyone is interested :)
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16164
    Not only is he very special but it's quite a special experience to be able to watch him play close up in real life in a small venue
    ..........it leaves you feeling very spiritual .
    The guitar was made for this man.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic said:
    Not only is he very special but it's quite a special experience to be able to watch him play close up in real life in a small venue
    Agreed , I saw him in Salisbury and it felt like I’d been to a southern baptist church service when I left , I was buzzing.

I tried to get into his music afterwards but just listening to it didn’t have the same effect as seeing him up close - his personality and presence is a big part of the package  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    Agreed , I saw him in Salisbury and it felt like I’d been to a southern baptist church service when I left , I was buzzing.

I tried to get into his music afterwards but just listening to it didn’t have the same effect as seeing him up close - his personality and presence is a big part of the package  
    Agreed. And that’s why I think this genre will remain relatively niche despite his following. He’s a one off package. 
  • Early on in that interview video, TE shrugs off The Captain's flattery and points out that he works harder than most others.

That is the entire secret, folks. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Early on in that interview video, TE shrugs off The Captain's flattery and points out that he works harder than most others.

That is the entire secret, folks. :)
    Not the entire secret. Probably a majority proportion of his technical ability. Doesn’t explain the complete package. Definitely other forces at work that can’t be replicated by anyone working hard..including his environment growing up for example.

He chatted at length about this stuff every morning of his camp last year. Another thing that became very apparent was that he is able to be fairly ruthless about home and family life sacrifices. He mentioned a few stories that made that clear. He hadn’t seen his 3 year old daughter for several months at the time. He acknowledged this and spoke of talented musicians who hadn’t lasted on the road because they weren’t able to make the same sacrifices. His family called him for an “intervention” at one stage and he basically told them “this is who I am, take it or leave it”. That stuff transcends hard work.