MFX aux out query

VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
edited September 2019 in Guitar
Older mfx pedals such as my Vox Tonelabs and even newer units such as the Zoom G5 have no aux out connection. But they do have a headphone connection socket. 

I know I'm not very technical so this is probably a really daft question and not possible...But can the headphone socket take an aux out too, and if so would a simple Y connector allow both headphones and aux device to be used at the same time?

Thanks guys

Rich
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    I'm not thinking straight. Headphones are outputs, whereas aux is input. I think I've answered my own question. Bugger.  :'(
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    You need a stereo splitter - what you would use for two pairs of headphones - and then a Y cable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    You need a stereo splitter - what you would use for two pairs of headphones - and then a Y cable.
    Would that work? Great if it would but I thought an output socket couldn't be used for an input?
    Oh, I see... you want an aux *input* as well - I thought you meant an aux *output*.

If you want an input and the unit doesn't have one, no. You would need an external stereo mixer, which you would connect the headphone out jack and the aux source to, and then run headphones from that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited September 2019
    Sorry, I said aux out in my OP but of course it's aux in. I did say I wasn't technical! Lol  Another fretboarder suggested a mixer in my new headphone thread, so that might be a good selection. Can you suggest an inexpensive small mixer that would do the job?

If you don't mind the guitar being mono, this will do it...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINE-MIXER-COMPACT-LINEMIX2S-PULSE/dp/B0131PV2RK

It's hard to find anything really cheap that has stereo input on the instrument/mic channel, without going up as far as a notepad mixing desk.

edited September 2019
    ICBM said:
    If you don't mind the guitar being mono, this will do it...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINE-MIXER-COMPACT-LINEMIX2S-PULSE/dp/B0131PV2RK

It's hard to find anything really cheap that has stereo input on the instrument/mic channel, without going up as far as a notepad mixing desk.
    Thanks @icbm but needs to be stereo 're stereo fx and delays in Tonelabs. 

I found a Mackie Mix 5 5 for £51 at GAK but its the size thats the problem. 

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/mackie-mix-5-5-channel-compact-mixer/105199
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    Maybe look at a (used) Zoom G1ON - their sub £40 new. Stick it at the end,  maybe with an always on effect.  It's a nice wee unit for messing about with headphones
    edited September 2019
    rpr said:
    Maybe look at a (used) Zoom G1ON - their sub £40 new. Stick it at the end,  maybe with an always on effect.  It's a nice wee unit for messing about with headphones
    Interesting idea...super little unit; if only it had amp modelling it would do me! However the G1 four might be a solution. Need to check that out.
    Voxman said:
    rpr said:
    Interesting idea...super little unit; if only it had amp modelling it would do me! However the G1 four might be a solution. Need to check that out.

It does have amp modelling,,,..that's kinda what I meant by an always on effect

edited September 2019
    rpr said:
    Voxman said:
    rpr said:

It does have amp modelling,,,..that's kinda what I meant by an always on effect

Ahh!  I must have missed it.  Could be a fun little unit to jam with at home. However, it only has up to 5 effects at once. so if you select rhythm, amp, cab, looper is that 4 effects?  Or is the amp/cab one memory slot combined and the rhythm & looper global and not counted as a memory slot (like the g5). If so, that's better but if not then its way too restrictive.

And that's why I sold the G5n - it's memory layout meant that the 9 memory slots were a misnomer.  In the G5, amp/cab were only one slot but 3 in the G5n, Looper & Rhythm & tube boost were all global & didn't take up a memory slot, whereas in the G5n these were not global & had to be programmed into each patch, and they took up huge memory - 2 slots (3 if you wanted stereo looping), and a 6 band EQ (1 slot in G5n) was 2 slots in the G5n.  So in the G5n, an amp, cab, rhythm, mono-looper & 6 band EQ were already 7 of the 9 slots, and some fx like pitch shifter were 2 slots. It was an atrocious design and a pain in the butt to use.  The only real advantage of the G5n over the G5 was better foot-switching.  

Update: I've just had a look in the manual, & it looks like its very similar to the G5 with amp/cab being one memory slot, and I think (but I'm not 100% sure) that because the looper & rhythm are not listed as FX, that these are global options on top of the 5 FX slots.  If I'm right, then I can select rhythm, looper, amp model, cab, and still have 4 slots for other FX.  If so, then I think it might do!  If anyone has a G10n and can clarify please let me know. (& there's a G10xn with expression pedal - even better)
    edited September 2019
    Amp and cab are one effect
    Push the blue  switch to activate drums and looper.
    You cannot switch the individual effects on and off in a patch like the larger units - it's a different way of working.
    It should solve your aux in problem, It wont replace your main board,
    rpr said:
    Amp and cab are one effect
    Push the blue  switch to activate drums and looper.
    You cannot switch the individual effects on and off in a patch like the larger units - it's a different way of working.
    It should solve your aux in problem, It wont replace your main board,
    Interesting, thank you. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3409
    I bought one of these for exactly the issue you have.
    https://www.altoproaudio.com/products/zmx52
    £40 from Amazon

Plug the output from your Tonelab into one of the channels, and your backing track source into one of the other channels.

Then you can plug either a monitor or headphones into the mixer and you will have a mix of the backing track and your guitar.