Stingrays, ...... ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• The players I like who play Thumbs are way better than me and I suspect I don’t have the technique to pull off the kind tones I like from them. 
    With respect, this is nonsense ... and somewhat disingenuous to yourself.

Warwick and Fender bass guitars are just bits of wood and metal, fastened together. Some of the differences that you hear between yourself and other bassists may be due to amplification.

mart said:
    octatonic said:
    I was obsessed by Warwicks until I bought a Thumb, which is instrument I've owned the shortest period of time.
    Out of interest, what was it about the thumb that you didn’t like or didn’t get on with?
    My two penn'orth. The Warwick MEC pickups are crap. I find them to lack detail generally - not just treble. Warwick MEC onboard active EQ is good but it cannot boost elements in the signal that are not present.

Having said that, the Warwick Thumb usually has twin EMG-J pickups. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    mart said:
    octatonic said:
    I was obsessed by Warwicks until I bought a Thumb, which is instrument I've owned the shortest period of time.
    Out of interest, what was it about the thumb that you didn’t like or didn’t get on with?
    It could have just been that bass but I found it impossible to get the action low enough to be 'nice to play'.
    Tonally I found it to be all bass and treble, midrange was much less present compared to what I am used to.
  • I didn't like the Thumb either. Balance was shocking.

I've had 2 Fortress models - 4 and a 5, and really liked them. 
    I quite fancy a Corvette but they can be quite heavy.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    octatonic said:
    It could have just been that bass but I found it impossible to get the action low enough to be 'nice to play'.
    Tonally I found it to be all bass and treble, midrange was much less present compared to what I am used to.
    Interesting. In theory, given how adjustable their nuts and bridges are, it should be easier to get the action how you want, but practice and theory don’t always accord.

The sound does seem to be a bit marmite, especially with the MEC pickups, much like @Funkfingers implies.
  • I’m not implying. I’m outright asserting that Warwick/MEC pickups are not good enough … not even for their MIC Rockbass models.

I have an MIG Corvette Standard. I fitted Seymour Duncan “two switch” Active EQ J pickups and VVT controls. It sits on a stand near my computer as my go to recording bass. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited September 2019
    I’m not implying. I’m outright asserting that Warwick/MEC pickups are not good enough … not even for their MIC Rockbass models.

I have an MIG Corvette Standard. I fitted Seymour Duncan “two switch” Active EQ J pickups and VVT controls. It sits on a stand near my computer as my go to recording bass. 
    You’re stating outright that you don’t like them. Since some other people do, your comment implies that they are marmite.
  • The players I like who play Thumbs are way better than me and I suspect I don’t have the technique to pull off the kind tones I like from them. 
    With respect, this is nonsense ... and somewhat disingenuous to yourself.

Warwick and Fender bass guitars are just bits of wood and metal, fastened together. Some of the differences that you hear between yourself and other bassists may be due to amplification.

There's a specific kind of aggressive finger style/slap that some Thumb players I like do, I don't practice that style so I can't do it justice, and there are so many hours in the day.

Playing wise this is the kind of thing I like from a Thumb but know I can't pull off properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED8IL4Es_sQ

So not disingenuous at all, just being realistic!
  • LowenderLowender Frets: 3
    edited September 2019
    Can we get back to talking about Stingrays instead of  sub standard Basses like a Warwick Thumb
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    Lowender said:
    Can we get back to talking about Stingrays instead of  sub standard Basses like a Warwick Thumb
    Welcome to the forum.
    Conversations here do tend to go round and round.
    Staying 'on topic' isn't a big deal here like it can be on other forums.
  • octatonic said:
    Amen to that.
  • octatonic said:
    Amen to that.
    Exactly, for example, just listen to this sick groove !!!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom