Strat Bridge position(mounting Holes) 21/22 Fret.

GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
edited September 2019 in Making & Modding
Could anyone tell me if the six tremolo bridge mounting screw holes are in a different location(front to Back)on a 21 or 22 fret neck ?
I want to resurrect my old Gordy Redshift body(strat type neck fixing),so I want to order an allparts Strat Neck, but I can't remember if the original gordy/strat type neck,was 21 or 22 frets & I don't know if it makes any difference..
Can anyone help ?,
Thanks,Graham.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Normally it wouldn't matter because the neck cavity would be routed for a 21 fret neck, and an optional 22nd fret is added as an overhang.

However, with custom made guitars by small makers it may not hold true. E.g. if the body was routed to accept a 22 fret neck with no overhang, you won't be able to use the 22 fret allparts neck that has an overhang, without having to fill the extra space between the end of the neck and the end of the neck cavity.

If you have a regular strat lying around, you could try measuring the distance from the back of the neck cavity to the bridge mounting holes (provided the Gordy bridge is a standard strat type bridge) on both guitars to see if there's any difference.
  • Maynehead said:
    Normally it wouldn't matter because the neck cavity would be routed for a 21 fret neck, and an optional 22nd fret is added as an overhang.

However, with custom made guitars by small makers it may not hold true. E.g. if the body was routed to accept a 22 fret neck with no overhang, you won't be able to use the 22 fret allparts neck that has an overhang, without having to fill the extra space between the end of the neck and the end of the neck cavity.

If you have a regular strat lying around, you could try measuring the distance from the back of the neck cavity to the bridge mounting holes (provided the Gordy bridge is a standard strat type bridge) on both guitars to see if there's any difference.
    Thanks,Maynehead.I thought this was going to be difficult ,it's actually a bit worse than a custom built guitar from a small builder,i originally put the Guitar together from a collection of bits from the "scrap bin" when Gordon was closing down.
    it's a "good" body,but the neck was a cobbled together Telly style neck from the bin,so all I have is the "Redshift" body.

I'm really going to have to get my thinking cap on,not easy at my age 
    =)