Sons Of Apollo Live With The Plovdiv Psychotic Symphony

doogz84doogz84 Frets: 206
Tool's new album has been making a lot of noise this week, but SOA's live recording from Plovdiv last year has finally been released.

I reckon it would have been a tremendous gig to have been at, but I'm not sure about the recording. I saw them live a few months before this was recorded in essentially a town hall in Motherwell, and they were excellent, I was particularly impressed with Soto's vocals, but some of them aren't quite doing it for me on the album.

Some of the covers are just that, covers. Not re-worked in any way, which is a bit of a shame, with so much talent on the stage.

But, I still love it, been a Bumblefoot fan for a long time, Portnoy too, so I'm kinda wearing rose-tinted specs, but their original stuff is excellent, it's just a shame they don't have more, and had to fill a bit with some of the covers.

Any thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Listened to most of it via Spotify in the car over the past few days. I feel the same way about the covers, I was quite excited to hear them but they are just that - covers. I think Jeff sounds great for the most part, however the covers they chose really highlighted the need for a specific voice. E.g. Dream on just doesn't sound right with his baritone.

I still think the best post DT project Portnoy has done is the Winery Dogs, Richie is just great. I really liked the 1st Flying Colors album too, but couldn't get into the 2nd.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom