Describing a guitars condition when selling?

What's Hot
When you describe a guitar for sale, how much detail do you go in to? 

I only ask as I went to see a guitar which was described as mint, I asked questions prior to setting off just for clarification and was assured all was as described but when I got to the sellers home it had dinks to the rear of the neck, plenty of buckle rash and a couple of other marks.

The guitar was 5 years old and if he had described it properly I wouldn't have gone to see it as I wouldn't buy a guitar with dinks to the neck and saved myself a near 60 mile round trip.

I accept that a guitar x years old is likely to have been used but equally for whatever reason some guitars are never used and therefore could legitimately be described as mint.

Am I being to OCD?

By the way it had all the paperwork; )
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    The guy is clearly an idiot. Mint would be zero dings etc.

Personally I prefer dinged and dented guitars, I hate the pristine thing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14430
    tFB Trader
    Very valid and we all know that some have different levels of integrity or indeed what they perceive as mint

IMO you have to be as honest as possible - If it looks like Rory's Strat then fine - Nothing to be ashamed of so just say it as you see it 

Nothing wrong to say nigh on mint but merest hint of a graze on the rear of the body - But be honest about what you can see
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I actually do videos and send them - especially after the buyer has agreed to the deal - I send them to get confirmation they are happy with it and can see each issue before I send or they visit. I also say their name in the vid and explain the bits I am pointing out. I feel that covers me quite well! Never had an issue

There seem to be a lot of buyers who need it to be actual mint, in the case and never gigged - they are the hardest to please.
    Everyone's idea of mint/vgc etc is different and vary wildy in expectations
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    Vaiai said:

For "mint", only those who don't understand what the word means.

"Mint" means *as new*, with no marks or signs of use whatever. The expression comes from "in the same condition as it left the mint", used by coin collectors.

The only way any guitar that has even one tiny ding on it can be described as mint is if it's a factory relic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • bloomerbloomer Frets: 209
    Yes mint means 100% perfect. Not 99.9% but 100%. Vintage dealers especially are hilarious with their application of it. In the vintage world mint seems to mean the same condition as fender light relic.
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2867
    edited September 2019
    Does anyone care about condition? ;-) 

I mean, it's going to get played so why would anyone want a mint guitar... 

Lol. 

Totally agree, mint means mint. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Am I being to OCD?
    Possibly. 

A "case queen" instrument will only remain that way if it is hardly used. 

IMO, what you are being is cost conscious. I do not blame you. Internet selling sites are awash with comedians, trying it on, asking ludicrous prices. Once these figures are seen, others take that to be The Going Rate and set that price when they advertise. 

saved myself a near 60 mile round trip.
    Having travelled that distance, my approach would be to point out all of the ways in which the guitar was not "mint" and how the asking price did not reflect its true condition. Next, I would propose the notion of haggling. If the seller immediately declines my suggestion, I leave. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    "Hardly used" could be construed as 'used hardly' i.e. thrashed considerably on a regular basis. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6118
    No you're not OCD. There are a lot of sellers who misuse language or are deceitful. Is it just guitar sellers who can be so dishonest in their descriptions or does it extend to all selling? I've pretty much given up buying used via internet, even though I love old guitars, as I've seldom had a guitar arrive that matched the initial description. Doctored pics are sometimes used - oversaturating colours so as to hide blemishes etc, esp with some dealers. Everyone wants to show their product in its best light but there are limits. It's a jungle out there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    ICBM said:
    Vaiai said:

For "mint", only those who don't understand what the word means.

"Mint" means *as new*, with no marks or signs of use whatever. The expression comes from "in the same condition as it left the mint", used by coin collectors.

The only way any guitar that has even one tiny ding on it can be described as mint is if it's a factory relic.
    Ok, maybe "mint" has no leeway as a term - but the others are very subjective!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    Vaiai said:

Ok, maybe "mint" has no leeway as a term - but the others are very subjective!
    Yes, to some extent subjective - although if you're familiar with the world of other collectables - such as books, vinyl records etc - there are quite strictly defined categories, and if you're caught inflating the condition rating there will be comeback.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• To be fair I've bought a reasonable amount of guitars privately, in the main people (and their guitars) have been decent.

Basically I want people to be totally honest and I'll have to accept that their are chancers out there: )

When I think about it most items that I've seen/bought that have been described as mint, generally haven't been, so I might have to rethink my approach to the seller who does use the term 'mint' in future!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom