Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD (almost) Barncaster...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    Moved from Guitar to M&M
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Roland said:
    Moved from Guitar to M&M
    Errrr! Why?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    that's what i want to know too, don't tell me it's because it hasn't got a pickup

Others seem to be enjoying the thread judging by the comments 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited September 2019
    poopot said:
    Roland said:
    Moved from Guitar to M&M
    Errrr! Why?

Err, because you made it, and didn't buy it? Just a thought...

If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopot said:
    Roland said:
    Moved from Guitar to M&M
    Errrr! Why?

I’m guessing because it doesn’t say a price and isn’t actually for sale yet. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Which is why it wasn’t in the classified section... it was a NGD thread 

So we’re not allowed to post guitars we make as a NGD thread?
    I’ve seen similar from others in the past... I’ve done similar threads myself in the past...
  • poopot said:
    Which is why it wasn’t in the classified section... it was a NGD thread 
    Ahh, my bad. In which case no I don’t know. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Has no pickup so should be in the acoustic section :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Has no pickup so should be in the acoustic section :D
    Smartarse!!!! :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:
    Roland said:
    Moved from Guitar to M&M
    Errrr! Why?
    Yes, it’s a guitar under construction, with pickups yet to be fitted. Regular readers will remember that the body was offered for sale a few weeks ago, https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/161785/withdrawn-whiskey-barncaster-tele-body, and then withdrawn with the intention of making a guitar to sell.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Roland said:
    poopot said:
    Roland said:
    Moved from Guitar to M&M
    Errrr! Why?
    Yes, it’s a guitar under construction, with pickups yet to be fitted. Regular readers will remember that the body was offered for sale a few weeks ago, https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/161785/withdrawn-whiskey-barncaster-tele-body, and then withdrawn with the intention of making a guitar to sell.
    Ok... genuine question for clarification regarding NGD threads and selling.

if I make, build or modify (call it what you will) as a hobbyist... I’m not allowed to post anywhere other than m&m and not allowed to list the finished guitar for sale?

not trying to cause grief here just trying to find out what the cans and can’t dos are.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Let me repeat what I’ve said by PM:
    “If you’re making a guitar as a hobby builder then it goes in Making and Modding.
    If you’re making a guitar as a professional builder then it goes in Made in the UK.”

Our policy on Traders advertising guitars for sale is that they can use Guitar£ for clearance items, and for special occasions when it is in the interest of forum members. @OilCityPickups @Alegree and others have sold prototypes, cancelled orders, and old stock in this way. 

The important point here is that you are building a guitar with intention of selling it. You’ve said that in this thread and also in your previous thread about the body. That straddles the line between hobby and professional builder, and causes several concerns.

First, this is a forum, not a commercial online sales site. Our resources are being misused for commercial purposes. We believe that many members who donate to the running costs of the forum have a similar view. So if you are making to sell then you need your own website. You also need to consider things like warranty and public liability insurance.

Secondly, using the resources and experience of a professional builder, and not incurring the associated costs, means that you have an unfair cost advantage over other professional builders.  We all know that making and selling guitars is a low margin business.
     It’s well established that a partscaster is usually worth more as parts than as a finished guitar. Whilst we are keen to see open market competition we are not prepared to support unfair competition which makes life more difficult for the UK’s guitar makers.

So, we are happy to see your build thread. We are happy to see an NGD thread once it’s finished. However, if you want to sell it as a finished guitar then you will need to sell elsewhere.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Roland said:
    Let me repeat what I’ve said by PM:
    “If you’re making a guitar as a hobby builder then it goes in Making and Modding.
    If you’re making a guitar as a professional builder then it goes in Made in the UK.”

Our policy on Traders advertising guitars for sale is that they can use Guitar£ for clearance items, and for special occasions when it is in the interest of forum members. @OilCityPickups @Alegree and others have sold prototypes, cancelled orders, and old stock in this way. 

The important point here is that you are building a guitar with intention of selling it. You’ve said that in this thread and also in your previous thread about the body. That straddles the line between hobby and professional builder, and causes several concerns.

First, this is a forum, not a commercial online sales site. Our resources are being misused for commercial purposes. We believe that many members who donate to the running costs of the forum have a similar view. So if you are making to sell then you need your own website. You also need to consider things like warranty and public liability insurance.

Secondly, using the resources and experience of a professional builder, and not incurring the associated costs, means that you have an unfair cost advantage over other professional builders.  We all know that making and selling guitars is a low margin business. It’s well established that a partscaster is usually worth more as parts than as a finished guitar. Whilst we are keen to see open market competition we are not prepared to support unfair competition which makes life more difficult for the UK’s guitar makers.

So, we are happy to see your build thread. We are happy to see an NGD thread once it’s finished. However, if you want to sell it as a finished guitar then you will need to sell elsewhere.
    Ok... I will say this publicly as I did some of it via PM.

I have been in business for myself for the last 22 years (completely unrelated industry to anything to do with music) and that is not about to change!!!! I have no intention of becoming a full time guitar maker!

I am in the very lucky position that after working my tits off for the last 2 decades I am afforded a lot of down time and am still able to sustain a level of income that keeps me in beer and biscuits!... 

rather than spend my spare time at the local golf club, I pop over to a mates to talk crap, break stuff and dick about with guitars!... 

so far this year I have:
    built a lp jnr for myself.
    painted a body for a mate.
    refinished a bass for our bass player (he’s 21 and skint btw)
    fixed my other mates Warwick (no one else would touch it)
    refinished my own strat and fixed a neck issue.
    and finally banged together the guitar in this thread...

Apart from the last one (which I admit I said is up for grabs) nothing else I have done has been to make money or undermine anyone else’s income!!!! And I have shared everything I have done on this forum!!!!

As for using the resources of a professional builder and not incurring costs... I’ve done Darren’s website, I’ve made a few video demos for him and I’ve taken more than a few pictures... I’ve also contributed to costs and I’ve paid for all the materials I’ve used!... and it costs me a shed load in diesel to get over to his!!!!!
    guess what? I’m out of pocket on the above if you want to cost it properly...

as mentioned before, I’m not spoiling for an argument or trying to cause grief to the mods... I totally understand tFB’s position on folk misusing the forum for their own personal gain... but is what I’ve done really such a threat to the established traders on here? Maybe I should be flattered!!!!

again apologies that this has got away from the original whinge of “why has my NGD thread been moved” and sorry for stating that I wanted to sell a guitar I have no interest in keeping...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:

Secondly, using the resources and experience of a professional builder, and not incurring the associated costs, means that you have an unfair cost advantage over other professional builders.  We all know that making and selling guitars is a low margin business. It’s well established that a partscaster is usually worth more as parts than as a finished guitar. Whilst we are keen to see open market competition we are not prepared to support unfair competition which makes life more difficult for the UK’s guitar makers.

I'd like to point out there are some pro builders working from home and therefore have a big cost advantage over the likes of me, so this statement is not true

I'm not whinging and moaning about it like others am i
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom