Guthrie Govan endorses Tronical robo tuners (same as Min E Tune)

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Thanks my friend.

Always good to share, it is what we all do here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I think these could be potentially useful for the odd tuning change mid-set, although I'm not sure I'd want to retro-fit them to my guitars. I'd consider buying a new electric guitar with them already fitted.

I can't see many acoustic guitarists going for them though, unless these tuners can allow for the sort of tuning compensation that players who use DADGAD, open C etc do. For example, you often want to tune the bottom D slightly flat, particularly if you are using a standard set of 12s and not a hybrid DADGAD set. 

When I used to do acoustic gigs, I used half a dozen different tunings but 2 guitars made it straightforward: one guitar strung with 13s/12s hybrid string sets for DADGAD, open C, open G, and the other for standard and open Fmaj7 tunings. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    They don't require any additional drilling BTW so there is no evidence they've been on a guitar
  • mellowsun;243226" said:
    I think these could be potentially useful for the odd tuning change mid-set, although I'm not sure I'd want to retro-fit them to my guitars. I'd consider buying a new electric guitar with them already fitted.

I can't see many acoustic guitarists going for them though, unless these tuners can allow for the sort of tuning compensation that players who use DADGAD, open C etc do. For example, you often want to tune the bottom D slightly flat, particularly if you are using a standard set of 12s and not a hybrid DADGAD set. 

When I used to do acoustic gigs, I used half a dozen different tunings but 2 guitars made it straightforward: one guitar strung with 13s/12s hybrid string sets for DADGAD, open C, open G, and the other for standard and open Fmaj7 tunings. 
    When retuning, does it use string tension or note pitch?

If note pitch, just pluck the strings you want sweetened (to compensate for hard playing which knocks it sharp) as hard as you'd hit it in performance.
    You could save your "sweetened" version of standard tuning to a user preset. In the 2nd Gen ones you could alter the standard tuning from standard, but not 100% sure if the newer setup does or not.

It is pitch it works on AFAIK I think the logistics of doing it by tension was too silly and that is why it doesn't work so well below the lower C tunings. Also I think that is why it sometimes misses the odd string first time if you are heavy handed when strumming.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited May 2014
    I bet some of the appeal to Guthrie is if it works in foreign climes... a lot of the reason he went with Suhr was the baked maple giving consistency in many countries.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    Yes that is a good point and one thing we mere mortals don't tend to suffer from.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    ... so... who's going to suggest Jon Gomm gets one fitted to Wilma? :D
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    It would hold off RSI for a while longer, from twisting the banjolele tuners.