Milk paint aged finish

What's Hot
lysanderlysander Frets: 574
edited September 2019 in Making & Modding
https://imgur.com/a/Se914xW

I'm experimenting for an upcoming build, the colours aren't quite right ( orange is way too bright, will try with a more yellowish brown ) but I think it should work well and it's fairly easy to work with.
I added a few coats of oil, it looks quite matte but could be made glossier with more coats.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hoopshoops Frets: 227
    Looks pretty good to me!
  • I like chalk and milk paints a lot, but not been entirely sure they'd work without getting bashed or rubbing off etc. Is it just a case of lacquering them to buggery and not wearing light coloured clothing?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Getting some natural wear over time is part of the appeal for me but good point about it rubbing off on clothes - I’ll have to do some tests both with oil and wipe on poly to make sure it doesn’t happen.
  • lysander said:
    https://imgur.com/a/Se914xW

I'm experimenting for an upcoming build, the colours aren't quite right ( orange is way too bright, will try with a more yellowish brown ) but I think it should work well and it's fairly easy to work with.
    I added a few coats of oil, it looks quite matte but could be made glossier with more coats.

What guitar do you plan to finish in Milk Paint? 

A couple (this and this) of guitar makers I used to follow online finished a few guitars with milk paint, and I liked how it looked.  Prefer the look of milk paint finishes every time in comparison to Fender style colour finishes eg CAR etc
  • A thinline tele and a strat.
    I do really like the look of milk paint on guitars. 
    To me it says ‘wood’ much more than a thick glossy finish. 
    I love aged nitro too but I’m not a fan of spraying high VOC stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I like chalk and milk paints a lot, but not been entirely sure they'd work without getting bashed or rubbing off etc. Is it just a case of lacquering them to buggery and not wearing light coloured clothing?
    This can cut both ways.

My brother wore his original CBS/Fender Jazz Bass fairly low on a strap. Eventually, the indigo dye in his jeans stained the white poly finish.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    edited September 2019
    I’ve done some vigorous rubbing on that test plank with wet and dry fabric and there’s not one trace of colour on the fabric so should be perfectly fine.
  • I built a few partscasters a couple of years back, and used milk paint and danish oil to finish them (plus a little wax at the end).  I wasn't going for a pre-reliced look, but just wanted something that was quick and easy to apply to unprimed wood, would let some of the grain through, and would wear/relic OK with normal use.  I've only been using these in and around the house, but here's a few pics of how they wear after a good bit of handling...

Excuse the low-quality phone cam pics.  You should be able to see, there is grain there, and some surface texturing.  There is quite a lot of yellowing in places (along the edges, mostly), but not sure if this is down to the milk paint, the oil or a combination of the two.  Not pictured, but there's some very minor chipping along the edge nearest the jack socket where the guitars been on a stand.

I'm no relic nut, but I think they still look pretty good.  I find the finished surface is pleasant to handle...definitely not slick/shiny, but pretty tough.  There's a little buckle rash on the back of each, but so far the paint seems to have "flexed" with it, so I'm seeing scratches/indentations but nothing that's penetrated down to bare wood yet.  Never had any issues with it coloring up clothes/fabric with contact.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Love the look of that.
    Weird about the yellowing but it doesn’t detract from it.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6878
    edited September 2019
    What’s the metal bit on the upper edge, is that the guitar equivalent of a shoe seg?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Incidentally I bought this wipe on poly with the milk paint and on the samples I’ve done I preferred it to oil as it changed the colours much less.
    Also seemed to go on very nicely and easily with a cloth.

• mrkb said:
    What’s the metal bit on the upper edge, is that the guitar equivalent of a shoe seg?
    It's a totally spurious banjo arm rest I chucked on it because I liked the look!  I always loved how they looked on the original US-built Eastpointe Reverend guitars, so couldn't resist.
  • lysander said:
    Love the look of that.
    Weird about the yellowing but it doesn’t detract from it.
    Yeah, I'm really not bothered by it myself.  Oiling definitely alters the final colour a little, so that wipe-on poly might be a very good call if you have a specific shade you're happy with.