Eliminating string squeak

What's Hot
Something that's been bothering me lately is string squeak. When playing with distortion and I slide a power chord, I get this annoying squeak that I just can't seem to eliminate. 

Now I've been playing 20 years and this is something that's really only just started to get to me. Any one else have the same issue and how do you eliminate it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Right and left hand muting.

• It's not muting that's the problem it seems, it's my fingers rubbing the string I'm using as I slide from one note to the other. I've muted all strings with my right hand and I still get it even when unplugged.
    Stevepage said:
    It's not muting that's the problem it seems, it's my fingers rubbing the string I'm using as I slide from one note to the other. I've muted all strings with my right hand and I still get it even when unplugged.
    Make a short video demonstrating the issue.
    It will be difficult to assist otherwise.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_wmd2pypkY

hopefully this gives an idea
    You might need to make a longer video, can't tell much from that.

Slow the riff down, play it as cleanly as you can and show us an angle that reveals both hands.
    Also try it clean, rather than gained up- it could be something as simple as too much gain.
  • Flatwounds
    When logic and proportion
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited September 2019
    Not what I'd usually recommend but you can try a noise gave and set the threshold high.
  • Just put up with it? You do hear finger slides a lot even on produced albums, it's sometimes hard to avoid.

However, if you really want to avoid it, just lift your finger up more while you slide your hand, sorry if that's stating the obvious!

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    How much of that is even coming through the pickups though? Sounds like it's mostly just the acoustic sound of the guitar to me, and you won't hear so much through the amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I played what you played and also heard string squeal but mainly. at the string acoustic level.  I reckon it's one of those pieces where you're not gonna eliminate it it's just physics at that speed,  pattern.  Etc
  • String choice makes a difference, I can’t use D’Addario due to string squeak. Coated strings help, especially the original elixirs. 

Also how are your finger tip callouses? I find if mine soften up they squeak more. I’ve even found lightly emery boarding finger tips helps. 

There’s also half rounds or ground wound strings but I found the loss of top end unacceptable. 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    There’s also half rounds or ground wound strings but I found the loss of top end unacceptable. 
    \m/ Steve could have provided a little more context, I suppose. 
  • DLM said:
    How much of that is even coming through the pickups though? Sounds like it's mostly just the acoustic sound of the guitar to me, and you won't hear so much through the amp.
    That's what I'm thinking. 

Is your mic (or mic on your camera) possibly acoustically picking up the squeak? If that's a possibility, try turning up the amp or recording direct into your computer.  I just tried playing it and, whilst I wouldn't claim it was completely squeak free, the squeak didn't seem as obvious.

It's not a competition.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Flatwounds?