Painting acrylic/perspex question

How does a chap paint the back of a clear acrylic/perspex Scratchplate? Thinking of using car type aerosol, degrease and spray?, obviously can't prime, or feasibly scuff with sandpaper, is it just a case of spraying the paint straight on? Will the paint melt the plastic?

Ive seen someone on here do it, can't remember who, was it you @WezV ;
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Is it for a scratchplate?

use coloured or patterned paper that way you can change it when the mood takes!!!!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    poopot said:
    Is it for a scratchplate?

use coloured or patterned paper that way you can change it when the mood takes!!!!
    I admit I had considered that!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

If not... acrylic spray will do it.
    I'd like to paint the back of the scratchplate the same colour as I will spray the guitar, I guess it could be slightly different shade due to the acrylic, but thats the plan.....dont want to make/order a custom plate to have it either not work or melt!

Try a scrap first
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader

Clean & spray, it won't be a high traffic area so the fairly weak adhesion won't be a problem. I've done a few inc a reverse silver flake, with logo. Bonus was come sale time it all came off nice & easy.
    Some plastics don't take well to solvent (polycarb) so worth misting on the first coat or two before having at it.

If it's like a Strat or Tele where it sits flat on the body I'd put a quick coat of wax on it when dry, just to help it not stick/grip & scratch when it's nailed down.

• I remember years ago Yamaha did a series of Strats (RGX?) with transparent pickguards. The idea was that you personalised them by putting pictures/artwork/wallpaper behind. 
    Anyway, I've sprayed Rustoleum Metallic Pink (from Wilko) directly onto acrylic. It works fine and is a decent match for an Allparts Pink Paisley body.
    My Fender Japan Paisley pickguard had a white coloured paint sprayed over the back of the pink metallic, presumably to seal it or make it more opaque and better hide the pickup rout. 
    Thanks folks! There's a clear scratchplate in the mail...wish me luck!