Firebird

What's Hot
chris45chris45 Frets: 221
So there is a Gibson Firebird for sale at a good price near me.  I think the design is fantastic - but I am 5 foot 5 and the sensible part of me says I’ll find it too big.  Anyone else had a similar experience?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’m 5, 6 and play one, but I also like 335s and people complain they are also too big for us shorter folk. If you like it, buy it and enjoy it -sod everyone else. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    I've 2 non reverse ones. They are an acquired taste no question and can feel there's a lot of guitar hanging over one. I'm 6ft1 as well. 

If you can try first that might be the way forward - certainly nowt stopped Steve Marriott or Angus Young playing big looking geetars from time to time. 

Doubtful but if you're anywhere nr Glasgow and want a shot of my two just let me know.

Cheers 
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• It doesn't bother PJ Harvey.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5810
    Malcolm Young was about 4 foot 3, played a White Falcon and looked cool as doing it. It’s all about attitude, so if that’s what you want to rock, that’s what you’ll look right with :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It doesn't bother PJ Harvey.
    Didn't she have a 3/4 one made?
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    shugz said:
    I've 2 non reverse ones. They are an acquired taste no question and can feel there's a lot of guitar hanging over one. I'm 6ft1 as well. 

If you can try first that might be the way forward - certainly nowt stopped Steve Marriott or Angus Young playing big looking geetars from time to time. 

Doubtful but if you're anywhere nr Glasgow and want a shot of my two just let me know.

Cheers 
    Hugh
    Cheers Hugh - I am in Edinburgh and I will drop you a note if I am through.
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    No problem at all Chris - great guitars I think. Just take a bit of getting used to compared with Strats, Teles, Les Pauls etc.

Cheers 
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• My mate has one and much as I want to like it (interesting pickups, neck through body design, etc) I always feel when i try it out that I'm holding an ironing board or something. 
    The headstock on his weighs a ton and dives like an SG, but it plays superbly.  Does feel like a long reach towards the nut though. I'm just over 6 foot so I feel like it should be a good choice for me but the ergonomics just never feel quite right, sadly. 
    An Explorer, on the other hand, feels perfect on me. 
    Try before you buy but great news if it works for you, Firebirds are badass and I wish I felt comfortable playing one. 
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    My mate has one and much as I want to like it (interesting pickups, neck through body design, etc) I always feel when i try it out that I'm holding an ironing board or something. 
    The headstock on his weighs a ton and dives like an SG, but it plays superbly.  Does feel like a long reach towards the nut though. I'm just over 6 foot so I feel like it should be a good choice for me but the ergonomics just never feel quite right, sadly. 
    Try before you buy but great news if it works for you, Firebirds are badass and I wish I felt comfortable playing one. 
    I remember reading someone saying playing an Explorer was like playing a coffee table!

Never played one myself - too metal or U2 for me.
  • longjaw said:
    My mate has one and much as I want to like it (interesting pickups, neck through body design, etc) I always feel when i try it out that I'm holding an ironing board or something. 
    I remember reading someone saying playing an Explorer was like playing a coffee table!

Never played one myself - too metal or U2 for me.
    My love of the Explorer came from watching Bob Mould use one live in London for Husker Du - so decidely NOT metal - back in the day.  Then I found out he normally played a V copy, despite the hardcore punk origin of the band, and was just using the Explorer as a one-off because he didn't bring his V to Europe.  

Sorry for the digression - the Firebird is certainly a classic though, and deserves an audition.  
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10896

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 400
    You're the same height as Brian Jones, who looked amazing with a Firebird.

I loved my old Firebird. I've got a fair few big guitars (Jazzmaster and a Longhorn baritone), but the Firebird is a whole different experience anyway, no matter your height. It's like leaning over the fence to have a chat with the neighbours.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3409
    Firebirds are cool. The only question is, are you cool enough to use one. You don't want to end up looking like this.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11640
    tFB Trader
    Firebirds are really long is what most people notice . So much space behind the bridge

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1390
    My NR firebird looks like an unwieldy wierdo but it's excellently balanced and very lightweight (probably sub 8lbs in old money). The weirdest thing is how far away the nut feels but it's only like going between strat and an SG or something.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10896
    NelsonP said:
    Firebirds are cool. The only question is, are you cool enough to use one. You don't want to end up looking like this.

Rock'n'roll is most certainly dead
  • Damn you, making me want another firebird now...seriously?!?!? Flipping gas facilitator. ;)
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6747
    PJ Harvey also was wearing heels, which may give the illusion of tallness and appropriate body:guitar ratio....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A29BMj3v86w
  • merlin said:
    PJ Harvey also was wearing heels, which may give the illusion of tallness and appropriate body:guitar ratio....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A29BMj3v86w
    As was Brian Jones. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31674
    They're big, but balance well. I find them much less awkward than SGs.