NGD - Squier Strat bargain

I saw an old Squier in a second hand shop the other day.  It was looking sorry for itself so for only £30 I decided I could give it a new home.  I wasn't expecting much (it had no strings when I got it which I assumed was a ploy to hide all sorts of problems) but I figured that if nothing else it would be a base for some experimentation.  The neck looked OK and the frets only had minimal wear given that it's serial number means that it's 13 years old now.  It has a few battle scars on the body but nothing that's going to bother me. (hidden by the strap in the pic).

Having taken it apart, given it a good clean, fixed the dodgy jack socket and performed a very basic set-up I'm very happy to say that it's perfectly playable. (at least to my very low standards)  It needs some more care, a proper set-up and a couple of the frets could do with just being polished up but nothing too major.  That can all be done at my leisure in the future.

The strap was a gift from Mrs 7926 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rossirossi Frets: 1707
    Looks like an SE .Good full size guitars ..Price was fine
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @rossi I had no real clue as to what type of Squier it was.  I just thought it looked sad thrown in the corner of a second hand shop and looked together enough that if all I ended up with was a body and a neck it would at least give me a practice platform for experimentation for my £30. 

It's turned out much better than I expected and other than a fret dress sometime in it's future I don't really need to do anything else to it.  Perhaps one day I might change the pick-ups but in all honesty they are ok. 

Can I infer from your comment that the body is 'full thickness' should I ever think about a new trem system or anything else where the body thickness might matter.  I think I read somewhere that the Affinity have a thinner body? 

Noob status really showing now!
  • Ah, having got home and had a proper look the headstock says bullet strat. Serial starts cy06 so that makes it Chinese 2006 I believe. 
    Not that it matters much but thought I'd update the thread.