Another question for the Squier Strat experts

I'm on the lookout for a lefty Squier and this popped up locally:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Stratocaster-Squire-Left-Handed-Electric-Guitar-Amp-Lead-Case-Stand/223657018575

Seems to be a Standard Stratocaster rather than an Affinity Strat, so a notch above the Affinity?

It doesn't look like anything in the current range so any guesses how old it is? Going by the condition, pretty recent I would say.

Ignore the wrong stringing!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    The standards have alnico pickups but have 500k pots and cheap switches.  250k pots and a new switch makes them a lot nicer.  The necks are quite unfinished to the feel.  I changed the tuners on mine but I'm not sure you need to.

Not sure about the age.
  • Looking closer, the stringing error has caused the nut to move sideways in its slot. I like a project though, and it's something I could use to get the price down. It's also on sale on facebook, I've messaged the seller to see if I can pop round to see it.
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 546
    edited September 2019
    It's older (1999/2000 at a guess) since it has a 6 point trem. More recent standards have a 2 post trem unit. Serial number on rear of headstock should provide a definitive answer.
  • Yes, just been on the SquierWiki pages and thought it could well be a’99, going by the gold Squier decal and The thinner font for Stratocaster.
  • Well, I got it. Serial number says it’s actually a ‘98, although online info is very conflicting, as it tends to be with Squiers. There are a few minor problems but it feels like a nice guitar - decent weight and a nice feeling neck.

Apparently the original owner has played support for Ocean Colour Scene and Paul Weller at Cardiff Castle, but his mum wouldn’t tell me the name of his band!
  • Well I didn't get the year right, but from some googling I'm going with "The Hearts" as the band.
  • Good work @HerrMetal !