Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone else here stopped gigging?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited September 2019
    More really interesting replies....thanks....I have to say I couldn't get rid of my 3 Dr Z amps and my various guitars as they are too high level and I like then too much; I chose them all very carefully and, apart from one ( the PRS DGT I bought about a year and a half ago), I've owned them all at least 15 years now, (the amps less), and I'm still happy owning them all. Yes there's lighter gear available now, but I bet it won't sound like the Z's.
    Recording at home is a good idea, I'm thinking about it....!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't miss gigging for a few reasons. I missed out on loads of nights out, weekends away, social events, birthdays, weddings etc, but that's the way it goes. Plus when or if I wanted to get out of a gig for some reason, it was a pain the backside, as I was the singer as well, the gig usually got pulled. That really stressed me out.
    I don't miss the setting up, taking down gear, but I think with smaller more light weight rigs and just a few pedals, I'll be boxing clever if I go back to it.
    I do miss gigging because I was comfortable playing live. Now that I just work a day job and don't play live, I'm trying to define myself, and don't really know where I fit in, or who I am, or if I am allowed to say I am a "musician"...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I do miss gigging because I was comfortable playing live. Now that I just work a day job and don't play live, I'm trying to define myself, and don't really know where I fit in, or who I am, or if I am allowed to say I am a "musician"...
    You're definitely allowed....why not?!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I had to stop due to brutal tinnitus - earplugs don't even cut it anymore. I still enjoy my gear at home - and turned over to more music production for my enjoyment... at home, at safe volume levels (for me - which is way quiet for a lot of people). I can play for fun, noodle away, or record/produce music in my home studio.. which is currently boxed up since we moved house!! But I do miss gigs, although I don't miss the reality of them that much, I miss the road and tours and the laughs we had, but I'm not too worried. Also have a daughter now so things changed anyway.
    I still suffer from GAS, still have too many guitars and amps - but its my hobby and no one goes without food or toys so its all good! 
  • I was in regular gigging bands between 1980 and 2016, when i finally realised that i could no longer keep up with the day job workload and be in a band that rehearsed once a week and gigged most weekends. It got to the point where i was cancelling rehearsals and turning gigs down so i decided to leave the band as it was not fair on my band mates. I was so busy at work i did not miss the gigs and eventually decided that i no longer had use for thousands of pounds worth of gear, so i sold up. (like a tool)
    Now i have made a decision to quit my job (finish at christmas) i fancy playing again, so i have just picked up a lovely guitar and i am slowly getting back into it........ it is really hard work to motivate myself to play at home and on my own and oh my i am so rusty, i feel like a complete beginner!! I can't remember how to play lots of songs that i considered to be muscle memory. Anything to do with being self taught / lack of formal training??
    I dont really miss gigging enough to join a busy band, but as someone else suggested a knock about band each month or so might be cool further down the relearning road.
  • Misty said:
    Yeah - I agree, call yourself a musician, an artist, whatever you like! I hope you don't really feel too much like this mate. Made me a bit sad reading that. I was never defined by playing music, being in a band or any of that. Be the hero in your own production mate, fuck fitting in, revel in being a misfit if that suits you!! (I hope that didn't sound patronising) 
    Exorcist said:
    Misty said:
    Yeah - I agree, call yourself a musician, an artist, whatever you like! I hope you don't really feel too much like this mate. Made me a bit sad reading that. I was never defined by playing music, being in a band or any of that. Be the hero in your own production mate, fuck fitting in, revel in being a misfit if that suits you!! (I hope that didn't sound patronising) 
    No I don't feel negative, and to be honest I've been calling myself a musician, rightly or wrongly, for years; if you want to broadcast it you just have to tell people and be proud of it......if folks understand that's great, if they don't it's not a problem for me! I can't see any problem in you calling yourself a musician, just be proud of it, no matter what level you're at. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    period of mourning when it stopped.
    This has been me since it became clear my band really was over and no splinter project would emerge. :( 

My proactivity since then has been like this:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/50/b8/5b/50b85b039d7105f4038c882b1fc3d724.jpg
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love playing guitar but came to really dislike the organising and hassling for gigs element. That is the main reason I have stopped.  I seemed to end up doing these jobs in pretty much every band I was in as a lot of musicians just can’t or won’t get involved in that kind of thing it seems. I know it sounds lazy but if the guitar sport came up in a band with a good leader or two then I would be up for it again. Of course the music and everything else would have to be right 
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited September 2019
    Only ever been an occasional gigger. I enjoy playing with other people but band politics, organising practices, etc was always the fly in the ointment. These days I go to a local jam night which is the perfect opportunity to play with other like-minded folk whilst, at the same time, avoiding the shitty bits of being in a band.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    I love playing guitar but came to really dislike the organising and hassling for gigs element. That is the main reason I have stopped.  I seemed to end up doing these jobs in pretty much every band I was in as a lot of musicians just can’t or won’t get involved in that kind of thing it seems. I know it sounds lazy but if the guitar sport came up in a band with a good leader or two then I would be up for it again. Of course the music and everything else would have to be right 
    I totally understand this, it's been my situation too for years, and if I was asked just to play and not have to worry about organising, managing etc. that might work, but as you say the material would have to be right.

HAL9000 said:
     These days I go to a local jam night which is the perfect opportunity to play with other like-minded folk whilst, at the same time, avoiding the shitty bits of being in a band.
    I tried that a few months ago, and enjoyed it. I only had to do three numbers, that might work.....

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited September 2019
    I've been gigging on and off for 45 years and parted with my last band a few months ago. At the moment it's frankly a relief not to go to band practice and rehearse for a gig. My plan is to retire in the next year or two and I'll then be able to do day time band practice instead of in the evening when I'm knackered after a long hard day and coming back from the city. So right now I dont miss it.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    DLM said:
    period of mourning when it stopped.
    This has been me since it became clear my band really was over and no splinter project would emerge. :( 

My proactivity since then has been like this:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/50/b8/5b/50b85b039d7105f4038c882b1fc3d724.jpg

I'm glad it's not just me!
  • I hadn't gigged for 10 years. Then I finally got back to it and then I've stopped again. Haven't done a gig since May 2018. I don't really miss it, it's a lot of hassle but I do miss playing with a band.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5471
    I haven't gigged for a longer time than I actually gigged. I don't miss it as such but I would like to do it again some time, I have done a couple of open mics and friends' get togethers but not a full band gig like the old days.

Now, more importantly, I hope your treatment goes well and that you make a full recovery. I had a brain tumour removed 8 years ago so I know what you may be going through right now. Funny thing, it's one of the most positive experiences I've ever had and I'd say I'm a better person for it all.
    All the best to you.
  • Day time rehearsals sound ideal
    edited September 2019
    DiscoStu said:

Now, more importantly, I hope your treatment
     goes well and that you make a full recovery. I had a brain tumour removed 8 years ago so I know what you may be going through right now. Funny thing, it's one of the most positive experiences I've ever had and I'd say I'm a better person for it all.
    All the best to you.
    Thanks for your good wishes, it's very interesting to hear your story, you must have recovered from your tumour 100%. Obviously I hope I'll do the same. I'm also interested in you saying it was such a positive experience for you.....I think I know what you mean, in that my life has simplified noticeably because of this, with my wife taking over the finances etc., and me focussing on fewer daily activities than before. I hope all is well for you now.

• vizviz Frets: 10694
    edited September 2019
    There’s a middle option between gigging regularly with a fixed band and never playing gigs, and that’s to take on projects now and then. This is what I do mainly. An opportunity presents itself, I create a pop-up band, we practise for the event, do the performance and disband again. Recent projects have been school productions, album appearances / radio shows, weddings, corporate christmas parties, garden parties, musicals, the odd pub gig, the odd big venue thing. Anything really. 

For me this approach ticks all the boxes - 
    - learning an entirely new setlist and genre
    - wide variety of performances
    - interaction with a new group of band mates
    - you can regulate the workload by only taking on what you can manage
    - sense of achievement when it’s done

It’s a lot of effort for each thing and isn’t a scalable approach, and certainly costs more than it pays (I bought a doubleneck for one musical lol), but if you think of it as a hobby it’s great. 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.