Compound Radius Question

What's Hot
Right !
I’m  having a bit of a back & forth with a bloke on a Jazzmaster/Jaguar page and I wanted to check my logic with the Fretboard hive mind.

There’s a guy who wants to stick a neck with a 7.25”-9.5” compound rad board on his guitar and he’s asking what radius bridge he should buy.

I’m saying that logically it should continue the “cone” radius and be flatter (although probably not much) than 9.5”.

There’s another guy that’s saying that as the radius only matters over the fingerboard section then 9.5” is fine.

To my mind that’s wrong because if the bridge is 9.5” then at the 21st fret the string radius will be tighter than 9.5” and so the middle strings will be further off the fingerboard ?

What say you ? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You are correct, although in reality it makes little practical difference, and most compound radius guitars with a fixed radius bridge will have a bridge radius that matches the radius of the last fret.

Regardless, your theory is sound for achieving a perfect string height profile across the board.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    You are correct, and in fact the bridge radius should always be slightly flatter than the fingerboard even on a fixed-radius board. This is because the individual string action should increase from treble to bass - which is achieved with a slightly larger radius curve, raised at the bass side... if you do that with the bridge radius the same as the fingerboard, the middle strings end up too high.

To be exact, a compound radius which increases from 7.25" to 9.5" from nut to approximately the 24th fret (ie by 2.25") would increase by another 0.75" (a third again) if the fingerboard went all the way to the bridge, so the *minimum* radius of bridge that would be correct is 10.25", but because of the above I would probably use 12" radius.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited September 2019
    I have 7.25-9.5 on my tele... roughly 12 at the bridge.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    edited September 2019 tFB Trader
    /\ this as poopot says around 12 at the bridge

I have 7.25 to 9.5 fretboards and love how they feel personally
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Not only do they feel better, there is a very good reason for that... a *non*-compound radius is actually geometrically wrong on a tapering neck - it needs to be a section of a cone, not a cylinder. Trying to squeeze a fixed radius onto a tapering neck effectively produces a hump in the middle of the neck at the high end. So all fingerboards should really be compound radius.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Not only do they feel better, there is a very good reason for that... a *non*-compound radius is actually geometrically wrong on a tapering neck - it needs to be a section of a cone, not a cylinder. Trying to squeeze a fixed radius onto a tapering neck effectively produces a hump in the middle of the neck at the high end. So all fingerboards should really be compound radius.
    I don't get the hump on my 12 inch radius fretboards, probably because i make it and sand flat again after it's been glued on, i think it actually ends up a tad flatter up the high end naturally, anyway gets me really nice low actions to start with which is the important bit
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)