Celestion Alnico Blue Pair in 1962RI Bluesbreaker

What's Hot

Hi everyone,

I managed to pick up an 1989 Marshall Bluesbreaker reissue and would like to consider changing in a pair of 15w celestion blues that I have to replace the greenbacks. This particular model (I think all the pre 1991 RI's have are labelled tremolo 50w on the back), however I've read into this and have come across informatioon that they are actually rated for an output of 30 watts.

Does anyone have any concrete knowledge about this actual output rating of these amps?

Ultimately, I'd like to know whether it would damage my speakers. There seems to be a lot of conflciting info getting around the internet.

Thanks!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3171
    tFB Trader
    Using today's industry-standard measurements a JTM45/Bluesbreaker is rated at 30w clean but will produce nearly double that at full power.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    You will quite likely blow them.

As RiftAmps says, although technically both the Vox AC30 and the Bluesbreaker are rated at 30W clean, the Bluesbreaker is fixed-bias so produces substantially more power overdriven than the cathode-biased AC30.

Marshall had a lot of trouble with the early Bluesbreakers blowing the original alnico G12s in the 1960s, which is why they were changed to Greenbacks.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• This is exactly the answer I needed to hear, thank you both for confirming this. I shall definitely not try this speaker combination!

Very happy with the current set up so will put the blues away for another time, when they are suitable and not likely to blow up. 

Thanks again