How to make it fit... Bluesbreaker 1962 Reissue problem

What's Hot
I've made a mistake and ordered some kt66s for my 89 bluesbreaker reissue, only to find that they had slightly slimmer cabs until 91 when they re-specced. 

There is only a tiny bit more space required to get them to fit and I've read around other forums about people having to "be creative" in order to have the kt66 fit in place of the original 5881s.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? I'm not sure what they mean by this and am not savvy myself in this capacity. I will be having an amp tech carry this out for me, but was just hoping for some insight so I can articulate exactly what I'd like him to do.

Many thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    To do it properly you need to rout a shallow recess into the front of the cabinet to clear the valves.

I've seen it done by putting spacers between the back board and the cabinet and using longer screws too, but it's not neat.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The routing option definitely sounds like a winner for me, I'll pass that information on to my amp tech.

Cheers mate
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    ooff, I would ask them to fit something to make sure the baffle does not become charred from being too close to the valves. a metal plate or some FR4 board
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That's a great point, I'll make the explicit when I discuss the mod with him