NGD: I don't like bling... [Gretsch content]

What's Hot
ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
edited September 2019 in Guitar
...I love it!  Or at least I do now with the arrival of this rather sparkly example.

As some of you (or at least @Legionreturns) know I find myself in a country-ish, slightly rockabilly band, and thus have come over all Gretsch lately.  I alternate between a red Indonesian G2420T Streamliner and a silver/blue Japanese G6118T Anniversary Players Edition.  There's not much to pick between them apart from the pickups and the colour.

Anyway, this popped up locally and it had to be done.  A Korean G5128T Electromatic, complete with Bigsby (natch!) and sublime DeArmond 2000/Dynasonic pickups.  And the most ridiculous/sublime finish of anything ever.

I mean, the thing could hang on a wall just as a work of art.  Most Gretsches are pretty, but I could look at this all day.  And thankfully it plays as good as it looks.  The Bigsby was a bit low and needed a 5p under the spring as they often do, but apart from that, the frets are untouched and the board is a tasty bit of rosewood.  It has the proper bar bridge, same as my 6119, but it's floating, so perhaps needs careful handling.  I've never understood why floating bridges are a thing.  Intonates fine when it's in place though.

The pickups are utterly superb, probably better than anything else in the stable.  Clear, punchy, bright but not sharp, perfect for ambient noodling, rockabilly rhythm, and yes, country picking.  The middle position is a thing of utter beauty.  Apparently these are a reissue of an old single-coil design and aren't found on many guitars, so this nicely complements the other two humbucking Gretches.

And it a came with a very brown leather Gretsch hard case with a little humidity and temperature gauge built in.  Rarely has £400 been better spent!  This one's a keeper.

0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19137
    Welcome to world of blowsy tart (of either sex) guitars  ;)
    I'm liking them, still regretting missing a very similar DeArmond  :s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5820
    You know you have to get the whole set now right?
  • I have the red version, 2008 model. Lovely guitar. 
  • That’s a beauty! Love those Dynasonics. 
    That’s definitely not the Bigsby bar bridge that those come with. Looks like a TruArc to me, which is a very nice upgrade indeed. As for being floating, I’m far from a light touch player and I’ve never had a problem with one. A little bit of low tack masking tape behind the base if you take all the strings off together should be the only difference to a pinned version. 

Also, the 2000s and Dynasonics are totally different pickups. So there’s great justification to add those to your collection too :)
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8043
    edited September 2019
    That’s a beauty! Love those Dynasonics. 
    These pickups are Dearmond 2000’s. They’re lighter sounding than Dynasonics, and a very different style of construction. Different sounding, but not worse. They can fetch up to £250 a set on eBay. 

The bridge 100% looks like a Tru Arc to me, though the stock bridges on these are plenty good. 

As for the floating bridge, get some violin/cello rosin.  Rub it on the base of the bridge every time you change strings. It won’t affect the finish, won’t stick to the body, but provides enough friction to remain stable and in place even with palm muting. 

On my one of these, the pickups are a tad too low.  I’m sending my one to Ash at Oil City. He’s going to laser cut some dedicated shims to get the pickups to the perfect height.  So, if you need any shims, Oil City will be able to help :)

its a damn cool looking guitar!  Congrats. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3666
    I know nothing about Gretsch but I do love that colour! 
    TheMarlin said:
    These pickups are Dearmond 2000’s. They’re lighter sounding than Dynasonics, and a very different style of construction. Different sounding, but not worse. They can fetch up to £250 a set on eBay. 
    Wow, I got that in before the Gretschmaster. I think I deserve a sticker :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ll put a gold star on a certain 5E3 for you ;)
  • That’s quite a looker!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    Mmmm !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback

• Question for Gretsch expert-types: 

Firstly, while I'm not a huge fan, there are certain (older) solid bodies which I like.

That aside (and from a mildly indifferent position), I find the whole Gretsch model range(s)/nomenclature/numbering system/country of manufacture/blahblahblah somewhat confusing.

Is there a preferred/definitive website which chronicles and clearly defines/explains vintage/current Gretsch ranges in their entirety?

TIA. ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    Nice score but it’s not proper sparkly ‘til it has a mother of pearl fretboard ;) 

http://hagstrom-vintage-guitars.se/gallery/mw_485021_de_luxe_90_gold_fullfront_225_300_web_C.jpg

HNGD :)

• Question for Gretsch expert-types: 

Firstly, while I'm not a huge fan, there are certain (older) solid bodies which I like.

That aside (and from a mildly indifferent position), I find the whole Gretsch model range(s)/nomenclature/numbering system/country of manufacture/blahblahblah somewhat confusing.

Is there a preferred/definitive website which chronicles and clearly defines/explains vintage/current Gretsch ranges in their entirety?

TIA. ;)
    Happy to spend a while on the phone talking you through it. Wikipedia might have something, but it wk t be accurate. 

Ed Balla has a good Gretsch book that explains the history of Gretsch. 
  • Nice guitar! I’ve got the firebird red version which looks a bit dull in comparison. Whoever changed the bridge did you a big favour, a really significant improvement.
  • Nice guitar! I’ve got the firebird red version which looks a bit dull in comparison. Whoever changed the bridge did you a big favour, a really significant improvement.
    I like the standard bridge. Nothing wrong with it. It’s a solid bar bridge designed to intonate well on that guitar. 
    The Tru Arc adds more mass, but not sure it’s such a gigantic improvement. And, I’m a bid fan of Compton and Tru Arc
  • Thanks for all the replies.  I had a good read about these pickups when I was buying the guitar, and still managed to get the wrong name!  All I know is they manage to be fat and bright at the same time, keeping that single coil clarity.  Even though I love the Filtertron sound, these are a very useful alternative, and still sound nice and Gretsch-y.

TheMarlin said:
    Nice guitar! I’ve got the firebird red version which looks a bit dull in comparison. Whoever changed the bridge did you a big favour, a really significant improvement.
    I like the standard bridge. Nothing wrong with it. It’s a solid bar bridge designed to intonate well on that guitar. 
    The Tru Arc adds more mass, but not sure it’s such a gigantic improvement. And, I’m a bid fan of Compton and Tru Arc
    I did wonder if the bar bridge was an upgrade.  It seems to intonate fine even though I can't see any obvious compensation.  Perhaps I'm not venturing up the dusty end enough!

TheMarlin said:

The bridge 100% looks like a Tru Arc to me, though the stock bridges on these are plenty good. 

As for the floating bridge, get some violin/cello rosin.  Rub it on the base of the bridge every time you change strings. It won’t affect the finish, won’t stick to the body, but provides enough friction to remain stable and in place even with palm muting. 

On my one of these, the pickups are a tad too low.  I’m sending my one to Ash at Oil City. He’s going to laser cut some dedicated shims to get the pickups to the perfect height.  So, if you need any shims, Oil City will be able to help :)

I was wondering about pickup heights although it sounds punchy enough where they are.  Are you saying the reissue pickups in this go for £250?  Blimey.  So I got a set of pickups, a Tru-Arc bridge, and a hard case, with a free guitar thrown in!

• These guitars came with at least a couple of different bridges. Some had fixed tunomatic style others, like mine, have a movable aluminium Bigsby type. I’ve found that Compton bridges work well on my other Korean built big body Gretsch guitars, I’ve not tried Tru Arc but believe that they’re very good and a big improvement on the originals.
  • You're going to need a bigger, more flashy hat. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Thanks for all the replies.  I had a good read about these pickups when I was buying the guitar, and still managed to get the wrong name!  All I know is they manage to be fat and bright at the same time, keeping that single coil clarity.  Even though I love the Filtertron sound, these are a very useful alternative, and still sound nice and Gretsch-y.

TheMarlin said:
    Nice guitar! I’ve got the firebird red version which looks a bit dull in comparison. Whoever changed the bridge did you a big favour, a really significant improvement.
    I did wonder if the bar bridge was an upgrade.  It seems to intonate fine even though I can't see any obvious compensation.  Perhaps I'm not venturing up the dusty end enough!

TheMarlin said:

I was wondering about pickup heights although it sounds punchy enough where they are.  Are you saying the reissue pickups in this go for £250?  Blimey.  So I got a set of pickups, a Tru-Arc bridge, and a hard case, with a free guitar thrown in!

If they do go for £250 I have a set for sale!
    Previously known as stevebrum