New nut dilemma

What's Hot
I've bought a new nut to put on my 'Telecaster type' guitar. Everything seemed to check out ok when I was perusing the nut dimensions...length..width..height.....even string spacing slots. Whipped off old nut.....new one went in but most strings buzz on first fret!!!!  Is there anything I can use to shim up the new nut a gnats doodah that wont affect the timbre/sound quality?
I've heard that glueing sheets of paper to the bottom of the nut to the required height can be a fix......but won't paper deaden the soud of a Tusq nut?  Or do I need to buy a new ( and slightly higher ) nut and learn from the experience?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Gluing paper on thoroughly with superglue - soaking the paper with it - is very effective and doesn't deaden the tone. The paper/glue composite is actually very hard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3495
    Is the Tusq nut a flat bottomed? or the one with the tab?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • Thanks for the reply ICBM......I'll give it a go. The nut is flat bottomed robgilmo.
  • Flat bottomed nuts make the rocking world go round.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paper and super glue is a very good idea, I normally use veneer but it’s a bit more faff.
  • New nut has just gone in. And I'm  delighted with the result. Rather than use the paper /superglue or veneer approach to hoiking up a nut by  a 'smidgeon'....I tried a wood pva glue and water mix and used a modelling brush to apply it to the nut slot in an attempt to add a little height to the base of the nut slot.
    It took around 20 hours to dry completely before I put the nut back in.  And it's worked!! Nut is currently held in place by string pressure only. I'll wait a few days to see how things fettle in. I've put a pic of the new nut as my avatar thingy...until I work out how to post pics on here. 
  • Not sure that pva will be hard enough. I would recommend a super glue in the slot and then some bicarbonate of soda dusted over it. Allow to dry and then file as required.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gary_mac said:
    Not sure that pva will be hard enough. I would recommend a super glue in the slot and then some bicarbonate of soda dusted over it. Allow to dry and then file as required.
    Just to clarify....I put the glue/water mix into the recess that takes the nut so as to shim up the nut when it's fitted. Not the superglue/bicarb trick to fill a string slot that is too low.
  • gary_mac said:
    Not sure that pva will be hard enough. I would recommend a super glue in the slot and then some bicarbonate of soda dusted over it. Allow to dry and then file as required.
    Just to clarify....I put the glue/water mix into the recess that takes the nut so as to shim up the nut when it's fitted. Not the superglue/bicarb trick to fill a string slot that is too low.
    Sorry, didn't read your post properly.