Pickup pole screws

What's Hot
I'm installing SD Hot Rodded humbuckers in an Epi Les Paul for a friend. When he dropped the guitar off he asked if I could check that the pickup pole screws were set correctly. I've never adjusted these on any guitar - so two questions.
  1. Will the factory setting be ok?
  2. Having done some research I think it would be better to experiment with different heights after the pickups are installed as pole height (and therefore the sound) are a personal preference rather than one height being "correct". Is that reasonable?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    It makes very little difference.

If you do want to set them differently from how they come, try this -

I set them in a gentle arc, with the Es level with the surface of the bobbins (or covers if fitted), the A and B a half turn higher, and the G and D a turn higher. The only one I find makes any real difference is the G - setting it lower than that can take away any excessive 'clang' which you can sometimes hear with a plain 3rd string.

For me personally, I also set the slots all in a line, at right angles to the strings, because I don't use a pick and if the slots are parallel to the strings I tend to snag my fingernails in them (at least on the neck pickup). And it makes my OCD happy :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    I think it can make a huge difference depending on the pickup and the string alignment to the pole piece

I made this video about how I set them on my guitars using DAW software to monitor each string output, try it if you can.
    It has saved at least two pickup for me so far, that otherwise would have been put on the shelf.

If the pole pieces don't align the string output is hugely different on up picking vs down picking, you can hear it in the tone too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    It makes very little difference.
    I would argue that it depends on the fingerboard radius of the host guitar. 

Begin either flush or with ICBM's arc suggestion. Adjust the overall height screws until you get the two E strings to your liking. Test for equal apparent volume across the four remaining strings. Tweak their polepiece screws to arrive at a string-to-string balance that you like. Even from flush with the bobbin or cover top, there should be some leeway for downward adjustment.

The JB/Jazz humbucker pair should give the Epiphone plenty of output for overdrive/distortion sounds. I often find that a setting of the JB that suits overdrive may be too forceful for clean sounds. It helps to have a professional quality volume pot to tame it.

CAUTION: If your friend is changing the pickups without upgrading to posh pots, some of the claimed advantages of the expensive pickups may not be evident.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Thanks guys