where to start with a partscaster build?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4962
    prowla said:
    A really nice Strat body I can't find a neck for.

Would an Allparts 22 fret neck be of interest? 12" radius rosewood fingerboard, big fret wire, step for FR string clamp, golden replica Klusons.
    Hmmm - that's the kind of thing, with the 22-fret overhang, though Allparts aren't my first choice.

I'd really like a Fender neck, but I've got a couple which wouldn't fit the pocket and also they have a rounded end. I've got a set of gold Fender machines with pearl buttons.

I've also considered a Warmoth one (as I have one on one of the others, above).

I'm thinking this is a limited run, so finding the exact one is proving to be a bit of a quest.

I saw this body in a chop and thought - great, all I need it to get a neck for it...

My other option is to put my Levinson Blade neck on it, but then I'd have to cut down the bulkhead between the neck pickup and neck pocket to fit it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    phil_b said:
    Sarge said:
    You could check out boobooguitars.co.uk they sell rejected Guitarbuild bodies and reject necks (not sure of the origin of the necks) and there are some great bargains to be had.
    I got my 1 piece ash strat body there with the only flaw being a tiny router plunge mark in the trem spring cavity, that was £90 iirc and just needed the unfinished cnc cuts sanding out. 

that is very interesting thanks for the link

some of the bodies seem to have very minor imperfections that would be covered by a solid colour finish.

There's a lovely walnut/maple sandwich body there right now with a slight flaw at the neck end glue line, very tempting
  • A good option for a first build is a cheap kit. The Harley Benton kits from Thomann are great value.  
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    A good option for a first build is a cheap kit. The Harley Benton kits from Thomann are great value.  

I feel that would be a bit of a waste as most of the hardware I would not use. so I would be buying a neck and body for £80 that would only be for practice. you can pick up used guitars for about £50 all day long