So, I did it (Huss and Dalton content)

monkaiboymonkaiboy Frets: 27
edited September 2019 in Acoustics
I bit the bullet and bought this...

2006 Huss and Dalton TD-M

It's winging its way to me from the states... finger crossed it arrives in one piece....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15548
    nice, never managed to play a H&D but I hear good things about them. Happy soon to be NGD.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice. Enjoy. And let us know how buying from the US goes. Was it a private sale?
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Love it. I used to buy lots from the states when the pound was better. Never had a broken one yet. It will be fine. 
  • Yup I’ll let you know how it goes. Ebay sale. Just got the fedex invoice for duty, comes at what I expected so all good so far...
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    Very nice guitar....enjoy!

• Looks good. Happy future NGD.
  • So, it arrived a few days ago. 

It's a thing of beauty, lovely grain on the top and the finish overall is beautiful. I keep just turning it over in may hands and looking at it.

The neck is a fullish C with ever such a slight V feel. Not a V fan as a rule but it's very, very comfy to play. I notice it when I pick the guitar but not when I'm playing. 

Soundwise, at first I found it a little polite - it is not a full-on ballsy dread. I was concerned it was a little 'soft' sounding, but new strings allayed those fears and gave it that sparkle it was missing. 

With the current setup at least, it is not a guitar to attack really hard - you need to pull back a bit to avoid a little rattle and to get the best tone. (Don't get me wrong, you can play it loud - but with limits) 

I did want something which I could push hard (as well as play delicately), so initially I was a little unsure whether it was quite the right instrument for me.

BUT

Now, I'm totally in love with it and can't stop playing it. I've spent the last week getting to know it, and really coming to appreciate its personality.

It has a very particular quality of tone. It has a bit more midrange than a D18, giving the notes a real fatness to single note lines. But it maintains a lovely sparkle to strumming and a delicacy to fingerpicking.

Despite what I said above about not being a guitar to hit hard, it is not an overly delicate instrument, either sound-wise or to play. Both the feel of the string tension, the responsiveness and the fat warm tone lend it a certain tactile muscularity. Kind of a 'chewy' feeling as you play it, if that makes any sense. 

Basically I have been unable to put it down and I have sore fingers but happy ears... 

Kai

(I still want a Collings 01 but that may have to wait until 2021 or thereabouts :) )