Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Most versatile pickups?

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3922
edited September 2019 in Guitar
I know the perceived wisdom is that one guitar can't do everything, but if you could only have one (and needed to cover a wide range of musical genres), what pickups would you choose to 'do it all'? It's got to be P90's hasn't it? I think I'm going to grab some underwound ones for a partscaster I'm building.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It’s so personal, I’ve always found p90’s to be great for almost everything and I often find myself blown anyway by guitars with p90’s.

I’m of the opinion that as long as they are good quality, low output of any pickup type can do a great deal.

it doesn’t stop me wanting all different guitars and pickup types though! I wish it did....
  • I think it's a set of vintage-ish output Strat pickups. I have never found anything I can't play on them. Takes a bit more persuasion to get them to do METAAAAAAAL (a Strat into a JCM800 with no pedals is hard work to shred on), but they can absolutely do it.

No pro guitarist worthy of the name has ever turned up at a gig and said "Sorry, we can't do that one, I've only got the Strat with me."

The perceived wisdom that no guitar can sound absolutely like a Strat, a Tele, and a Les Paul (etc) is true, but the idea that because of that there's no guitar that can play all styles is absolute rot.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • A slightly hot PAF. P90s are pretty noisy if you do any kind of heavy music, and low output humbuckers can sound a bit weedy for higher gain. High output passives tend to sound a bit harsh at low/mid gain and actives similarly tend to excel at either end of the spectrum but something like a Fluence Modern Ceramic can cover a lot of ground.

Telecaster bridge pickup is probably the most versatile singlecoil
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited September 2019
    It really depends on all the other bits. A decent amp and some pedals will make a lot more difference than a pickup change, surely? 
    A vintage strat and basic amp will do teh metalz if you stick a decent pedal(s) in between. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3412
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • A nice trebly PAF, for me. Or really decent Tele pickups. 

You can do just about anything except Strat in-between sounds with either of those, and careful use of volume & tone controls.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    i can make most pickups work for me, except for boomy neck humbuckers. 
  • More or less what @stickyfiddle said.

Although, honourable mention for the G&L MFDs (the big soap bar looking ones). Less noisy than a lot of single coils, take gain well, very nice clean sounds. Slightly less character than the best tele or strat pickups, bit noisier than humbuckers. But they can do a lot, well.
  • Lebarque said:
     what pickups would you choose to 'do it all'? 
    A HB and a single coil. 

• DiMarzio dual sound humbuckers with switches wired for "dual coil/single coil".

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Original wide range HBs are awesome. They have clarity, sparkle, string separation etc but can get filthy when cranked. Not tried the modern day replacements but heard good things about the Creamery ones.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9780
    Splittable HB and P90.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10875
    tFB Trader
    The most versatile pickups are the ones in the guitar of a knowledgeable and versatile guitarist. End of story.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72818
    EMG Dual Mode.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RolandRoland Frets: 8798

Telecaster bridge pickup is probably the most versatile single coil
    ... particularly if you use a tapped one. You can then pair it with a neck humbucker or P90 for a wide range of sounds.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Underwound pafs that have the volume and controls 50s wired are so articulate I’d have to go for them. They just nail it and can still dirty up perfectly.
  • Roland said:

Telecaster bridge pickup is probably the most versatile single coil
    ... particularly if you use a tapped one. You can then pair it with a neck humbucker or P90 for a wide range of sounds.
    Can you elaborate? I have no idea when it comes to tapped T Bridges.  Do you mean tapped as HB to SC or different outputs (eg low and high) and what's good about having different outputs? 
  • best set I have is EMGs with active bass and treble
    I learned from our bassist friends, and decided to try it
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    NelsonP said:
    Haven't seen those before.  Are you any good then?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11653
    tFB Trader
    I had a pair of BKP Abraxas in a guitar I built @peteri has it now - what made them really versatile was I used the Seymour Duncan triple shot rings with the switches built in. -4 possibilities from each HB and then the option to mix the two...very versatile. Of course you could use any pickup - such as a hot PAF or whatever 
    I also like the Freeway switching systems.

The most versatile pickups are the ones in the guitar of a knowledgeable and versatile guitarist. End of story.

Can't argue with that though!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!