Partscaster neck not aligned with bridge

What's Hot
chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
edited September 2019 in Making & Modding
https://imgur.com/ddfsLUv
https://imgur.com/Zqg9v7R
I have a body from a Roadworn Mex Tele and a walnut neck made by a local luthier. The problem I have is that the 6th string (low e) completely falls off the board. I made a temporary fix (in the picture linked) but as you can see, the strings come over the saddles at crazy angles. The through-holes in the body are a little too far to the left. Is this something that can be fixed? I really want to keep the neck because it feels amazing.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Assuming that the neck is sitting correctly in the pocket, then you're going to need to move the bridge.  Have you had another neck on the body that didn't give you this problem?
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Is that a 52.4 spaced bridge on a 54 spaced body?
  • gary_mac said:
    Assuming that the neck is sitting correctly in the pocket, then you're going to need to move the bridge.  Have you had another neck on the body that didn't give you this problem?
    No other neck. I bought the body and neck separately. 
  • Is that a 52.4 spaced bridge on a 54 spaced body?
    It is a 54mm bridge and 54mm spacing
  • Would a nut with narrower string spacing make any difference?
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    I guess either the screw holes in the body, or the ones in the neck are misaligned.

Given that the MIM body is a factory part, I'd go from the perspective that the neck doesn't fit the body properly.

You could de-string, loosen the screws, and see if you can push it to position (and maybe shim a side.

If that doesn't work and new holes are required, the neck ones should be easy to plug and re-do.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowla said:
    I guess either the screw holes in the body, or the ones in the neck are misaligned.

Given that the MIM body is a factory part, I'd go from the perspective that the neck doesn't fit the body properly.

You could de-string, loosen the screws, and see if you can push it to position (and maybe shim a side.

If that doesn't work and new holes are required, the neck ones should be easy to plug and re-do.

I have the neck pushed all the way to the side of the pocket (towards the low e). I don't really want to alter the body, but I'm willing to adjust the neck. Is it possible to file it down a bit? 
  • That bridge is not the one that would have come with the body. Have you got an ashtray bridge you could try?
  • That bridge is not the one that would have come with the body. Have you got an ashtray bridge you could try?
    I have a Wilkinson ashtray body, but it's the same result. I'm beginning to wonder if this body is a legit MIM, or I if bought a lemon :(
    I have a Wilkinson ashtray body, but it's the same result. I'm beginning to wonder if this body is a legit MIM, or I if bought a lemon :(
    Upload a pic of the body (preferably without the pickguard) and "we" should be able to tell
  • Here are a couple of snaps I took on my crappy phone.
  • Here are a couple of snaps I took on my crappy phone.
    Looks legit to my untrained eyes
  • https://imgur.com/xvhborD
    I took some of the advice here. Repositioned the neck and installed a Wilkinson ashtray bridge. Its better, but the only way to get the low E aligned was to flip the saddle over so the groove is on the other side.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    It's definitely a genuine Mexican body, so the problem will be with the neck since the body is CNC-made.

You may be better trying a three-saddle bridge with threaded steel saddles, that allows more string position adjustment. Although not always to exactly where you want!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    edited September 2019 tFB Trader
    Those 6 saddle bridges are pretty crap - they force the string to make an unnatural path to the string through holes. The intonation screw holes should be drilled offset to allow the strings a straight path but on budget bridges they rarely are.
    I'm pretty sure with a standard 3 saddle bridge or regular modern 6 saddle bridge (Gotoh GTC201) everything would line up as it should.
    Did you drill the Wilkinson for the 6 saddles? I've never seen a Wilkinson WTB bridge with those before.

EDIT>>Just noticed it is an "M Series" Wilkinson bridge. Did you get that off Aliexpress from the guy who claims licensing agreement with Trev Wilkinson? He seems to have a few "Wilkinson" products that no-one else does - I suspect he's having them made to his own design/spec. No idea if his agreement with Wilkinson is genuine.
    That said it actually looks like the intonation holes are drilled offset in the pictures so I'm not so sure now...
    tFB Trader
    Based on this picture it also seems that the bridge pickup is off to the right and the neck pickup is off to the left.

https://i.imgur.com/VlUmpnh.jpg

A luthier made the neck, you say? I’d call him and ask him to take the guitar apart and re assemble it properly. I’d start by taking him a new bridge too 
  • Those 6 saddle bridges are pretty crap - they force the string to make an unnatural path to the string through holes. The intonation screw holes should be drilled offset to allow the strings a straight path but on budget bridges they rarely are.
    I'm pretty sure with a standard 3 saddle bridge or regular modern 6 saddle bridge (Gotoh GTC201) everything would line up as it should.
    Did you drill the Wilkinson for the 6 saddles? I've never seen a Wilkinson WTB bridge with those before.

EDIT>>Just noticed it is an "M Series" Wilkinson bridge. Did you get that off Aliexpress from the guy who claims licensing agreement with Trev Wilkinson? He seems to have a few "Wilkinson" products that no-one else does - I suspect he's having them made to his own design/spec. No idea if his agreement with Wilkinson is genuine.
    That said it actually looks like the intonation holes are drilled offset in the pictures so I'm not so sure now...
    It is indeed a bridge from AliExpress. I decided upon a 6 saddle type because I thought it would save intonation headache. Oh, the irony. Are the gotoh bridges made to Fender spec? I think that will sort out most of the problem.
  • Based on this picture it also seems that the bridge pickup is off to the right and the neck pickup is off to the left.

https://i.imgur.com/VlUmpnh.jpg

A luthier made the neck, you say? I’d call him and ask him to take the guitar apart and re assemble it properly. I’d start by taking him a new bridge too 
    The neck pickup screws into the pickguard, and there isn't any problems with that. As Gavin above pointed out, it's probably the cheap AliExpress Wilkinson bridge causing the issue. 
  • It might be worth mentioning that the neck is quite narrow (around 40mm at the nut), which is something I really like. I wonder if narrowing the string spacing at the nut would help at all..
    tFB Trader
    It might be worth mentioning that the neck is quite narrow (around 40mm at the nut), which is something I really like. I wonder if narrowing the string spacing at the nut would help at all..

Buy a Gotoh or fender bridge and take the guitar back to the luthier in question. Instead of guessing, ask him to sort the problem/s out and when he’s finished I’m sure he'll gladly run you through the issues.