NGD - FGN Odyssey JOS-HM-M FBT

WildWayzWildWayz Frets: 90
edited September 2019 in Guitar
Just received today

It comes with a gig bag and 3 alan keys. That's it! lol

FGH guitars are made at the Fujigen factory in Japan (Same people that make the old Japanese Fenders and more notably the Ibanez Prestige range of guitars.

This guitar is their mid-range guitar at £750ish. 

Body type:
Solid body
Body material:
Basswood body, maple top, AAAA flame maple veneer.
Neck joint:
Standard all-access
Bridge:
FGN FJTR-S2P – 2 point tremolo
Hardware color:
Chrome & Nickel (Tuners)

Neck type:
U Shape
Neck material:
1pc Maple
Scale length:
648mm/ 25½”
Fingerboard material:
Maple 250mmR
Fingerboard inlays:
Black Dots
Frets:
22 Medium w/C.F.S.
Nut:
Bone
Machine heads:
Gotoh 15:1 Vintage Tuners

Pickup configuration:
HSS
Bridge pickup:
Seymour Duncan® JB Model™ TB-4
Middle pickup:
Seymour Duncan® Vintage Staggered SSL-1
Neck pickup:
Seymour Duncan® Classic Stack Plus STK-S4n
Controls:
1Volume, 1Tone, 5Way SW, Coil Tap Mini SW
String gauge (factory):
.010–.046

I have installed on mine (not pictured) - upgraded Gotoh 15:1 SD-91 “Magnum Thumb Lock” tuners, Schaller Straplocks and a Goldo Back Box. 

Out of the box, the action was higher than I like, but that's a simple fix. Intonation was spot on. I was getting a tiny bit of pinching at the nut, so when I put the new tuners on, I filed the nut, put some Chapstick on it, now it is fine.

Action is lowered; not as low as my Custom Gordon Smith Graduate (No idea how they got it that low without any fretbuzz!) - checked intonation and played it a bit. None of the upgrades I did are essential. I just like locking tuners.

It sounds fantastic!

I've owned many Japanese Ibanez guitars and I would honestly put this up there with them. The neck reminds me of an Ibanez AZ in size. The edges are rolled, the frets nicely rounded. 

If anything, the coil split seems a bit under-utilised. It splits the humbucker, that is all. Would be nice if they used an AZ style DynaSwitch. Also, the whole 'fresh guitar feel' needs to wear off, as it feels a bit 'sticky' - but all my new guitars were like that, other than my Gordon Smith. And one last thing... the Volume and Tone knobs, when set to full, the grub screw was pointing towards the player (see 1st photo)... so I took them off, rotated them so now they don't show when at full,

Am I happy with her? Yes! 

Guitar(s): Custom Gordon Smith Graduate, FGN Odyssey JOS-FM-M FBT, Ibanez RG6PCMLTD, Yamaha Pacifica 311H, Harley Benton Fusion Pro HSH Amp: Blackstar HT5-R MKII, Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers  | Effects: Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe, Fender Marine Layer Reverb, Fender The Bends Compressor, TC Electronics Flashback 2, EH Hum Debugger, TC Electronic Polytone 3.
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    looks very nice indeed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Very nice, congrats! These have been popping up on my facebook feed recently, they are making some very nice looking guitars. 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    That looks sweet tbh.  Good score, well done man
  • allenallen Frets: 754
    Very nice. I wish they did it in a 24.75 scale.

• FGNs are excellent. Yours is a very tidy looking guitar. Especially with that body binding.
    I have a Fujigen guitar myself so I'm a bit of a fan. 
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • FGNs are excellent. Yours is a very tidy looking guitar. Especially with that body binding.
    I have a Fujigen guitar myself so I'm a bit of a fan. 
    Show!
    Guitar(s): Custom Gordon Smith Graduate, FGN Odyssey JOS-FM-M FBT, Ibanez RG6PCMLTD, Yamaha Pacifica 311H, Harley Benton Fusion Pro HSH Amp: Blackstar HT5-R MKII, Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers  | Effects: Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe, Fender Marine Layer Reverb, Fender The Bends Compressor, TC Electronics Flashback 2, EH Hum Debugger, TC Electronic Polytone 3.
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    allen said:
    Very nice. I wish they did it in a 24.75 scale.

I'd love to see a lot more super strat style guitars with 24.75 scale for all us small handed dudes