Charlie and his Collings SoCo

What's Hot
I have never really paid much attention to dual Humbucker guitars being happy with one Tele and a bitsa Strat build nearly complete. But, if I ever bought something with Humbuckers I’d want it to sound like this. The all round general tone is lovely (to my ears), nicely crisp and throaty. YouTube sound quality I know and, as always a combination of playing ability, effects, eq setting, etc, but nice playing and tone all the same. 

Does anyone have experience with this guitar or the Throbak SLE 101 Plus pickups?And how would a spruce top alter the tone compared to the usual maple?

Interesting he says he wanted to find pickups that were close to Knopfler’s 58 burst.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dmCRu3rhfVc
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• westwest Frets: 998
    yep i have one of these and its fab , it has the throbaks but i dont think my top is spruce and mines the less bling one tbh it sounds pretty much the same as this , mine might be a bit tighter /punchy i hope that lessens with time for my taste ...
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3307
    tFB Trader
    I'd love to hear some filtertrons in one of these
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • westwest Frets: 998
    p90s on this one ...

• Thanks for posting that clip, very cool, and definitely some Knopfler sounds and influence going on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefan said:
    Thanks for posting that clip, very cool, and definitely some Knopfler sounds and influence going on.
    Yeah, I initially thought of this one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5DMLnoyk6R0
  • Have played the mahogany, maple and spruce variants with Throbaks and Lollars.
    warmest/smoothest was the all mahogany with Lollar P90s.
    my favourite was the maple top with Throbaks in, it was the clearest and most versatile messing with volume and tone controls.
    the spruce top sat in between them in sound and didn’t speak to me as much.