Strange LP: Interested in People's Views

What's Hot
Long round trip today to have a look at this bad boy that popped up on a Fb forum. 

Didn't buy it: still pondering.  Interested in any views/observations you gone cats might have.

Sold as a '72, the serial number checks out, but the LP Custom with Standard appointments is a novelty: shades of Peter Frampton...  Looks to me to have had a (not particularly great) refin at some point, and the absence of nibs suggests a re-fret.  There's also a volute where the neck meets the headstock: did Gibson ever do this?

All in all, a puzzle.

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Did you take a look at the pickup routes? 
  • Did you take a look at the pickup routes? 
    Not closely :(
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5198
    I’ve not seen one with those colour cavity control covers, and I thought a deluxe had different tuners?  :s
  • I don't think it can have been a deluxe: it's got the Custom inlay on the headstock.  The paint on the reverse is pretty poor, btw.  Of course the hardware could have been changed relatively easily...

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • That era of LP gibson were using volutes and three piece necks which you can make out with the picture of the rear of the headstock. The chainsaw case are also the best gibson cases and came in at around that time I believe. Looks legit but hard to tell without seeing it in the flesh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks right for the era. Will also have a pancake body, ( you can feel/ see this under the finish on the sides. Every bit of hardware has been replaced including the tuners. I cant see from the photos whether or not they are the original pick ups ( should be T tops ( you should be able to make out a "T" engraved into the plastic.. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72813
    Looks legit to me as well, albeit refinished not particularly well, and with all the hardware (but not the pots and caps) changed. The pickups have clearly been out, but that would be the case even if it had just been refinished.

The 'Standardised' Custom look was popular at one time, and it's not that uncommon - a friend of mine has a later 70s one that's been done as well. Personally I think it looks awful, but it would be fairly easy to put back.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7169
    smart as fuck, I'd grab it, it's ace
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    How did it play? One of the best guitars I’ve ever is a bitsa with no resale value.
  • That era of LP gibson were using volutes and three piece necks which you can make out with the picture of the rear of the headstock. The chainsaw case are also the best gibson cases and came in at around that time I believe. Looks legit but hard to tell without seeing it in the flesh.
    Thanks for the info: certainly helps clear up a couple of (potential) oddities.
    artiebear said:
    Looks right for the era. Will also have a pancake body, ( you can feel/ see this under the finish on the sides. Every bit of hardware has been replaced including the tuners. I cant see from the photos whether or not they are the original pick ups ( should be T tops ( you should be able to make out a "T" engraved into the plastic.. 
    Don't recall seeing a T...  I'll ask the vendor to take a close up.
    ICBM said:
    Looks legit to me as well, albeit refinished not particularly well, and with all the hardware (but not the pots and caps) changed. The pickups have clearly been out, but that would be the case even if it had just been refinished.

The 'Standardised' Custom look was popular at one time, and it's not that uncommon - a friend of mine has a later 70s one that's been done as well. Personally I think it looks awful, but it would be fairly easy to put back.
    Well that would be the ultimate plan, I think, although I suppose the chrome hardware look adds eccentricity value.  Or get a rd pickup and go full Frampton :D
    tony99 said:
    smart as fuck, I'd grab it, it's ace
    +1 for the Votes of Confidence. Thanks! :D
    Garthy said:
    How did it play? One of the best guitars I’ve ever is a bitsa with no resale value.
    But for the fact it was my ham fisted amateurishness on display, pretty well: neck slightly wider and shallower than some.  reminded me of my Feline DC Jr...  As for the value, regrettably the vendor requires tokens of vulgar exchange...

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Here's the Frampton inspiration. 

Or Justin Hawkins :D

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23336
    It may be great, but the modifications make it look like a Japanese copy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think that looks wicked :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72813
    Philly_Q said:
    It may be great, but the modifications make it look like a Japanese copy.
    I’ve always thought that too - possibly because my first ‘Les Paul’ was a Hondo just like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Cream plastic on a black Custom always reminds me of Thin Lizzy "Live and Dangerous", particularly the fold out sleeve photos of Brian Robertson with his LP Custom.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23336
    edited September 2019
    artiebear said:
    Cream plastic on a black Custom always reminds me of Thin Lizzy "Live and Dangerous", particularly the fold out sleeve photos of Brian Robertson with his LP Custom.
    Me too, and I really like that look.  But it'd look better with gold (or even nickel) hardware and gold speed knobs.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1500
    Just saw Frampton 2 weeks ago.  It was a great show and he had the old Les Paul (as well as some new ones).  Opening act was Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Evening, which was also fantastic.   Go see him if you get chance (both of them).  I used to have a 1972 LP like that, and I have a 1970 now, but both of mine have gold hardware.  I have reflector knobs on the 1970, because I like the look - here it is

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7169
    PhilKing said:
    Just saw Frampton 2 weeks ago.  It was a great show and he had the old Les Paul (as well as some new ones).  Opening act was Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Evening, which was also fantastic.   Go see him if you get chance (both of them).  I used to have a 1972 LP like that, and I have a 1970 now, but both of mine have gold hardware.  I have reflector knobs on the 1970, because I like the look - here it is

fuckin' A
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16222
    If that floats your boat you should look at the Vintage  Navigator that is for sale on here......they are mega quality