Squier vs Vintage

What's Hot
SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2015
Currently on the hunt for something jangly (single coils) under £300.

What would you go for out of these, or would you recommend an alternative brand?

If G&L offered a jangly Fallout then I would be going for that, but I'm sorted for humbuckers and I'm not keen on the buzz of p90s.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2015
    I haven't looked at the rosewood boards on Vintage guitars, but I know I wouldn't buy the laurel on a Squier, so that could be a plus for them (if they're nice).
  • RustySpannerRustySpanner Frets: 553
    edited September 2019
    How about Cort?

The quality is excellent - probably better in many respects than my older Indonesian Squier and (Chinese?) Vintage SG. 

My local dealer has quite a few in stock and I've not played a duff one yet. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    How about Cort?

The quality is excellent - definitely on par and probably better than my older Indonesian Squier and Vintage SG. 

My local dealer has quite a few in stock and I've not played a duff one yet. 
    I started on a Cort and I had no intention to switch it until I joined a forum lol.

The necks can sometimes be a bit too Ibanez for me (just sold one on), whereas I tend to prefer something a bit chunkier, but I might check out their newer models.
  • I’d probably be looking at Harley Benton too. It’s been suggested they’re made in the same place as Vintage. I’ve played a few (& a Te52 is my main guitar)- there are lots of models to sift through. 
  • An older  Squier Stratocaster or Telecaster would probably have a rosewood fingerboard. You can often pick up immaculate used Squier guitars at bargain prices because people buy them as a starter guitar and give up after a very short time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1697
    LTD ST213 maybe be contender
  • In my recent experience , Squier , Vintage and Revelation all make cracking guitars. Of the 3 my revelation Jazzmaster style is the one I pick up the most as it has a nifty varitone control plus it just feels more worn in than the others.
  • Squier Pro Tone.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5869
    I have a Vintage and a Squier here. You can see where the money is saved and spent on both but they’re both perfectly usable guitars that are fun and comfortable to play. 

The Squire is a Tele and sounds like a tele. The Vintage is some kind of offset SG design and has a sound that’s all it’s own. 
    dazzajl said:
    I have a Vintage and a Squier here. You can see where the money is saved and spent on both but they’re both perfectly usable guitars that are fun and comfortable to play. 

The Squire is a Tele and sounds like a tele. The Vintage is some kind of offset SG design and has a sound that’s all it’s own. 
    Where would you say the money isn't spent on each? That offset SG looks great btw
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1163
    edited September 2019
    I really like the vintage strats, I've had 2 of the HSS models in the past with the relic'd finish. Once they are setup they are great gigging guitars. My bro-in law liked mine so much he went and bought one and gigs it regularly. He normally gigs a Music Man Axis and a 90's Fender Strat Plus but at this point in time he prefers the sound and feel of the vintage!!!

The bonus with the vintage stuff over squire is you get the excellent wilkinson pickups and hardware on them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    edited September 2019
    Schnozz said:
    I haven't looked at the rosewood boards on Vintage guitars, but I know I wouldn't buy the laurel on a Squier, so that could be a plus for them (if they're nice).
    Making a decision before you try something is pretty daft. Especially on something as cork sniffy as fretboard wood
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I have a Squier vm P Bass with a laurel fretboard and it looks and feels just like rosewood 
  • An older Squier Stratocaster or Telecaster 
    This ... or an old Ibanez or a Yamaha.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1711
    Just look on Gumtree and you will get an older  Affinity strat  or even better an SE for about 50 quid  with a nice rosewood board  .Very playable after some tweeks and possibly a pickup change .Vintage are also good guitars with decent hardware .i have the weird Zip model off gumtree .Its an odd guitar but plays well and keeps tune  and thats the cheapest Vintage you could get .
    edited September 2019
    Schnozz said:
    Making a decision before you try something is pretty daft. Especially on something as cork sniffy as fretboard wood
    I have tried laurel on a Squier PJ bass, which is why I don't want it. Some rosewood boards are very poor quality on budget guitars and chip easily, so seeing as it's where your fingers go, it's kind of important.
  • Schnozz said:
    Schnozz said:
    I have tried laurel on a Squier PJ bass, which is why I don't want it. Some rosewood boards are very poor quality on budget guitars and chip easily, so seeing as it's where your fingers go, it's kind of important.
    ...I've played one les paul and it was bad so all les Paul's are bad...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Schnozz said:
    Schnozz said:
    ...I've played one les paul and it was bad so all les Paul's are bad...
    Are you having a bad day pal?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Sarcasm, methinks.
    Schnozz said:
    I have tried laurel on a Squier PJ bass, which is why I don't want it. 
    The logic underlying this assertion is that you reject laurel fingerboards BECAUSE you have tried one.

Your statement conveys your dislike without explaining what it is about laurel that you find objectionable.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited September 2019

Sarcasm, methinks.
    Schnozz said:
    I have tried laurel on a Squier PJ bass, which is why I don't want it. 
    The logic underlying this assertion is that you reject laurel fingerboards BECAUSE you have tried one.

Your statement conveys your dislike without explaining what it is about laurel that you find objectionable.

My original post asks what single coil guitar you would choose under £300?

If you want to choose something that looks and feels like this...

https://www.talkbass.com/attachments/p_20190122_110816-jpg.3292086/

That's your shout.

Any other options?