Any love for the ESP/LTD Vipers?

Had one of the 400s around 10 years ago or so, and put a passive humbucker in the bridge and a passive P90 humbucker in the neck. Not too sure why I sold it, but I did.
I remember I was teaching a youngfeller the guitar at the time, and he had a standard Gibson SG, which, granted, was a fantastic guitar, but the ESP offered something a bit different too.
I remember the quality being really good for what it was. Yes, twas a metal looking guitar, but I played pretty much everything but metal on it, and used it in a covers band.
I don't like much of the demos on YT, just reviews soaked in high gain, but I guess this is one of the reasons why they have EMGs active pickups.
Might keep an eye out for a used one again down the line. Any non metal ESP Viper players here?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I had one, nice guitar. Preferred it to the SG I had. I've always fancied the 1000 model with Seymour Duncans
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I have a Viper 256P with ESP noiseless P90 pickups. They hummed terribly until I read about the factory in Vietnam had wired a whole batch of them incorrectly. The pickups must be similar to Gibson P100 with 4 insulated wires and a bare earth. Swapped 2 of the wires and voila noiseless P90s but not as much character as regular P90s.

The Mahogany body is one-piece! Hard to believe for a guitar that was £199 on clearance from GuitarGuitar. The neck is nice to play, it's a tad wider than my Eclipse 256.

I'm no metal player, classic rock is more like what I play on it and maybe a little cod jazz with the tone turned down. 
  • I am lusting after the purple ESP USA Viper.  it looks so immensely decadent but I haven't found anywhere that stocks them to try them
  • I had a Korean Viper 300, excellent build quality, but I moved it on pretty quickly as I can’t deal with any hint of neck dive.
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 726
    Lovely to play on, but the neck dive drives me potty.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2938
    edited September 2019
    I’ve only tried one of the LTDs but couldn’t believe how heavy it was - as much if not more than the PRS singlecut I tried before. Nothing like an SG which usually “feels like I’m wearing nothing at all”  [/flanders]
    Maybe it was a one off. Felt nice apart from that though, I like ESP/LTD guitars in general.