Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's so special about Friedman amps?

What's Hot
I've been drooling over Friedman amps recently. Electronically and historically speaking, what's special about them? They seem special to me. But I don't know if that's just amp GAS rearing it's ugly head! :lol: 

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Specifically the Butterslax and BE-100.

Bye!

• This surprises me, I never had you down as a Marshall type guy?  
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • This surprises me, I never had you down as a Marshall type guy?  
    Nah I'm a big Marshall guy. I love the JVM, well the Satch version, and the DSL and JCM900. The 800's are okay, but obviously need pedals. All my favourite amps are basically modded Marshalls of some description, the Diezel's have a Marshall lineage for instance. Also loads of my favourite players are Marshall guys at some level too.

Bye!

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    I think of them as hotrodded Marshalls with better built quality.
    The reissue Marshalls seem to be pretty well made, but the more modern, fully featured ones seem unreliable.
    It would appear that you have to choose between a Marshall reissue without some features like channels switching, multiple channels etc or go for a modern Marshall amp and hope it stays working.

Or go to Boogie, which isn't very Marshally, or Engl, Diezel, Bogner etc.
    Friedman are the most Marshally of the lot but keep a modern spec that gives you an FX loop. channel switching etc.
  • I've got my VHT SigX, Diezel D-Moll, Deizel VH4, and Orange Rockerverb MK3 100-watter. I think the Orange can go tbh (Ben will be happy to hear that!)

I do fancy checking out a Friedman at some point.

Bye!

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    I've got my VHT SigX, Diezel D-Moll, Deizel VH4, and Orange Rockerverb MK3 100-watter. I think the Orange can go tbh (Ben will be happy to hear that!)

How much do you want for the Rockerverb?
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited October 2019
    octatonic said:
    I've got my VHT SigX, Diezel D-Moll, Deizel VH4, and Orange Rockerverb MK3 100-watter. I think the Orange can go tbh (Ben will be happy to hear that!)

How much do you want for the Rockerverb?
    £1100 would seal the deal. PM me if you fancy it!

Bye!

• I didnt realise Diezel had some Marshall lineage, they sound pretty different to me.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I didnt realise Diezel had some Marshall lineage, they sound pretty different to me.
    Peter Diezel got his start modding Marshall amps, eventually getting up to the point where he was completely gutting them and rebuilding from scratch. The VH4 came about because he never had enough room in the Marshall chasis to do what he wanted.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got my VHT SigX, Diezel D-Moll, Deizel VH4, and Orange Rockerverb MK3 100-watter. I think the Orange can go tbh (Ben will be happy to hear that!)

How much for the Orange? 

How much for the Orange? 
    Orange is too good for you pal. Stick to yer Mode Four.

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

How much for the Orange? 
    Orange is too good for you pal. Stick to yer Mode Four.
    My Mode Four intimidates you with its girth. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    I didnt realise Diezel had some Marshall lineage, they sound pretty different to me.
    Peter Diezel got his start modding Marshall amps, eventually getting up to the point where he was completely gutting them and rebuilding from scratch. The VH4 came about because he never had enough room in the Marshall chasis to do what he wanted.
    That's right. A mate of mine has one of the last "Marshall conversions" he did, it looks quite a lot like this, but the Tolex isn't red:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q245/acrossthedelta/FrontCustomDiezel.jpg
  • Really interested to hear clips of the origins of diezel 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • sratosrato Frets: 24
    Friedman Runt is the best sounding amp I've ever had and that's special to me.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I've got the Friedman BE100 Deluxe, Buxom Betty and Runt 50.

I've been through loads of amps in the past, and I'm happy with these for the moment.

Between then they cover pretty much everything.

The FX loops are particularly good and they take drives really well.

The Betty is the anomaly where it doesn't have an fx loop, everything straight into the front.  It's so well sorted there's almost no noise and everything is so clear, even with stacked drives, reverb, delay, chorus and flanger on at the same time.  No master volume either so you have to get your drive from pedals or an attenuator.

They're solidly built and Dave Friedman actually responds personally to emails and is happy to stand behind his amps.

The runt is good fun and a monster gigging amp, loud and I think it sounds really good with some quality reverb and delay in the loop.

The BE-100D is so so good. I'll not witter on about it too much, but I'm completely in love with it.

They all sound brilliant at low volume too, even the BE-100D could be a bedroom amp, sounds the same at every volume.

I've had Marshalls, bluesbreaker, jvm410, 210, silver jubilee, jcm900 and SL5.
    None of them stayed that long. 

The friedman amps are very different imo, the quality of tone is a step above all of the Marshall's I've had, and are just less fizzy and a lot smoother sounding in comparison.

• Well built with a really good preamp gain circuit and master volume resulting in a great sound at lower volume. This gets you into Marshall territory without an attenuator. 
    Over the years the newer versions have improved. I have a Marsha from 2009 And the gain tone is nowhere year the new deluxe models. 
    Not as super versatile with guitar volume as a true plexi (except for Phil X) but then I don’t think they can be with the circuit. 
    Built to last, I have never had one fail. 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2587
    tFB Trader
    They force the word Fried to sound like Freed.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They force the word Fried to sound like Freed.
    I blame Marty
  • DaiganzenDaiganzen Frets: 102
    As an Avid Marshall Guy I do like the Friedmans but can't justify the price. Especially as My DSL 401 or my or JVM 410H sound as good. I don't want to say which is better as they have differences in their sound and its really personal taste. But I have to say from my point of view (I play Classic/hard/Metal Rock music) the standard Marshall 1960A or 1922 Cab doesn't cut the mustard and I do use a Custom cab with an eminence CV-75 and a Celestion Cream Back 75 in it and that really brings out more guts and power of these amps at full wack