Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Name a song from your youth that blew your mind 1st time you heard it.

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Overture 1928 by Dream Theater. I still remember the EXACT time I heard it first time. Bought the album for £5 from HMV in Lincoln (on a whim having heard about DT on Music Radar/Intermusic). Stuck it on, on the way home, in my Seat Toledo, and genuinely nearly crashed the car as I was so blown away/fixated by the opening bars of the album. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pixies - River Euphrates

Heard listening to Peel sometime in '88.  A friend at school had started listening to The John Peel Show and turned me on to it.  I remember distinctly that he played the Gigantic/River Euphrates single, both sides back to back, one after the other.  I was just getting over Gigantic, when River came in.  Never heard a scream like it on record before, and with Joey doing those semitone bends into discord over everything...well, it all just clicked into place, like nothing I'd ever heard before.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
    edited November 2019
    The Weight - first time I heard it was on the Easy Rider soundtrack (by Smith rather than The Band).

I remember being wowed by the I iii IV I chord progression which at the time was new to me, and the fantastic (semi-Biblical) imagery. One of those rare instances where the lyrics paint pictures in my head even more vividly than Dylan manages.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Emerald - Thin Lizzy.
    Never heard anything like it....
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Nothing overly special but Black Sabbath’s Planet caravan blew me away when I was a kid. 
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • When I was 8 or 9 I first got to hear Never Mind the Bollocks, which had just come out, courtesy of my older sister. Nothing was ever the same again. Bodies, in particular, but I played the whole record endlessly. 

Gassage mentioned Hanging Around by the Stranglers, which I would also second as another massive influence on me, along with Nice n Sleazy.

Later on, but still sort of in my youth, Stevie Ray's Texas Flood affected me like no music since.

Two final revelations for me musically would be Vernon Reid's solo on Cult of Personality and then Tom Morello's playing on that first RATM album, mainly Township Rebellion and Killing in the Name of. 
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    Shine on you crazy diamond. About 11 yrs old played my my mates elder brother on a very good hifi, my introduction to guitar & other worldly music.
    Orgone accumulator by Hawkwind moved me too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • My dad convinced a DJ mate to let him tape a load of his records onto real to reel. The first song on the tape was Big Bird by Eddie Floyd which made the hairs on my arms stand up. It still makes me go a bit funny.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"