Vintage Brass Strat Hardware - Where?

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
As many of you will recall, back in the ‘70’s and early ‘80’s, adding brass hardware to your Strat for ‘sustain’ purposes was somewhat de rigueur. Mighty Mite, Schecter, etc were both originally purveyors of brass bits and bobs with which to jazz up your guitar.

For some time now, I’ve been looking for a range of old brass parts to slap on a build, but have drawn a bit of a blank.

Any suggestions re. sources? At one time, you couldn’t give the stuff away...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ABM Mueller offer brass Strat stuff. Available through Thomann as well as direct 
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    ABM Mueller offer brass Strat stuff. Available through Thomann as well as direct 
    Cheers! :)

I’m really looking for old parts though...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ABM Mueller offer brass Strat stuff. Available through Thomann as well as direct 
    Cheers! :)

I think they do aged/relic stuff as well
  • There are a few places making new hardware from brass, though seemingly more Tele parts are available than Strat parts. I'm thinking specifically of:
    ABM
    mk-guitar.com
    armadilloguitar.com
    killerguitarcomponents.com

Other than that you occasionally see stuff on eBay/Reverb like old Schecter brass knobs, the occasional Fender BrassMaster trem system, or Mighty Mite trem backplate or pickguard, but I'm not aware of any specific source - just patience really. Perhaps one of the repairers/techs on the forum has a drawer full of these parts stashed somewhere?

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I'm surprised you can't find a few old brass parts in at least one of your many warehouses.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18778
    Sassafras said:
    I'm surprised you can't find a few old brass tarts in at least one of your many warehouses.
    FTFY  ;)
  • I bought a Maya Strat the other day that I THINK has a brass nut. It's discoloured a hell of a lot so it's sort of hard to tell. If I can get it off I'd happily swap it for a bone one?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Hard to get - I've struggled in the past, and ended up paying over the odds for stuff that I've needed to bring in from the US.

I genuinely think a lot of it went in the bin about 15-20 years ago. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    ABM Mueller offer brass Strat stuff. Available through Thomann as well as direct 
    Cheers!

Given all those old Pre-CBS Strats that you used to see loaded with brass hardware, Super Distortions, Floyds etc that have all miraculously returned to “original” unmodded 50s spec you would think that there were boxes of this stuff kicking about 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    DrBob said:
    Cheers!

Given all those old Pre-CBS Strats that you used to see loaded with brass hardware, Super Distortions, Floyds etc that have all miraculously returned to “original” unmodded 50s spec you would think that there were boxes of this stuff kicking about 
    I have talked about this for many years now

Brass top nuts - 3 way to 5 way - Dimarzio SDS in the bridge were common mods in the late 70's for pre-CBS Strats - You find me any such guitar for sale now in this format - Somehow they have 'morphed to original' - Yes and many had the brass saddles but that is an easy mod to put back to original with the right parts
    DrBob said:
    Cheers!

I have talked about this for many years now

Brass top nuts - 3 way to 5 way - Dimarzio SDS in the bridge were common mods in the late 70's for pre-CBS Strats - You find me any such guitar for sale now in this format - Somehow they have 'morphed to original' - Yes and many had the brass saddles but that is an easy mod to put back to original with the right parts
    A very famous guitar expert (who shall remain un-named so I don't embarrass him) said to me that there are more "all original" Custom Colour pre-CBS Strats, Teles, Jazzmasters and Jaguars than ever left the factory. I don't have data to prove or disprove that, but there's sure as shit more available now than I ever remember

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Sassafras said:
    I'm surprised you can't find a few old brass tarts in at least one of your many whorehouses. .
    FTFY  ;)

FTFY too.
    edited October 2019 tFB Trader
    As many of you will recall, back in the ‘70’s and early ‘80’s, adding brass hardware to your Strat for ‘sustain’ purposes was somewhat de rigueur. Mighty Mite, Schecter, etc were both originally purveyors of brass bits and bobs with which to jazz up your guitar.

For some time now, I’ve been looking for a range of old brass parts to slap on a build, but have drawn a bit of a blank.

Guitar Man was another brand and Double Eagle

Double Eagle - superb stuff. I had a neck by them that was truly exceptional and I wish I never sold it.

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030

Double Eagle! I’d forgotten them! :)

tFB Trader
    impmann said:

Double Eagle - superb stuff. I had a neck by them that was truly exceptional and I wish I never sold it.
    I think Double Eagle was part of Stentor's distribution - Can't recall if Far Eastern or USA parts, maybe both
    impmann said:

I think Double Eagle was part of Stentor's distribution - Can't recall if Far Eastern or USA parts, maybe both
    Far Eastern.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22879
    impmann said:

I remember Roka's in Denmark Street having loads of Double Eagle stuff back in the eighties, and they had Stentor as well.  It seemed like a brand you always found in music shops, but not so much in mail-order parts catalogues (I was going to write online, but there was no online...).
  • I remember the Double Eagle pickups - Japanese copies of Dimarzio's if I remember correctly? I don't remember other Double Eagle parts, but a shop local to me had Mighty Mite parts which were quite crudely packed - sort of shrink wrapped over cardboard rather than boxed. And they were hung on one of those rotating stands. 

And as for there being more vintage guitars now than originally left the factory, the saying goes:
    Of the original one thousand seven hundred and twelve original vintage 1958-1960 Gibson Les Paul's, only around five thousand still survive! 
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703

Just remove any laquer and piss on it ,leave to ferment and voila .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom