Help with Kemper output

Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 325
I'm about to get one but I'm still not sure how to get it to sound good. It's not an amp where you just plug it in and mess with the couple of dails. It seems there are sections and sub-sections how to use the amp with a variety of speakers and outputs and often, it doesn't sound good because a mistake has been made in the settings along the way.

To keep it simple in the beginning I'm thinking of getting a powered head so I can play it with my guitar cabs. I have a 5E3 tweed deluxe for Fender tones and a Marshall JCM1 for more marshall tones. Can I just use the Kemper's fender profiles (with the cab sim turned off) with my tweed can and marshall profiles with my marshall cab to get close to how it should sound?

Once I decide to go to FRFR, I would like to get a small cab for it, will that be enough? Powered Kemper and a FRF speaker cab?
Sorry for all the questions, I've been used to simple tube amps operations, this Kemper has more buttons and features than I'll need but I've read it's easy to get good tones out of it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1286
    For the ultimate kemper experience an FRFR cab would be best. Otherwise your standard guitar cab will always colour the sound of your profiles. Not saying they will sound bad but defo not the way they were intended to.
    Buying FRFR was my plan, used a powerhead with a mesa recto cab and most of mid to high gain profiles sounded too similar. Eventually sold kemper and...went back to tube amp. Limited versality but less to worry about ;) 
  • DaiganzenDaiganzen Frets: 101
    So KrisGee is right that a cabinet with certain speakers will colour your sound. A powered Kemper with an FRFR Cab will mean you can get the sound of a different speaker but it will be the sound of the Impulse response of the Microphone on that speaker so it wont be an amp in the room sound, more of a snippet of that sound. Alternatively don't get a powered Kemper and get a Line 6 Power cab which can do speaker modeling and FRFR
  • My favourite way by far is to use it with a regular cab for monitoring and send the full signal via the XLR to FOH.

Audience gets all the Kemper goodness and you get the traditional feel of a proper amp behind you.
  • My favourite way by far is to use it with a regular cab for monitoring and send the full signal via the XLR to FOH.

Audience gets all the Kemper goodness and you get the traditional feel of a proper amp behind you.
    Using the built in poweramp Jay, or a separate unit? - if so which one?

Bye!

• KrisGee said:
    For the ultimate kemper experience an FRFR cab would be best. Otherwise your standard guitar cab will always colour the sound of your profiles. Not saying they will sound bad but defo not the way they were intended to.
    Buying FRFR was my plan, used a powerhead with a mesa recto cab and most of mid to high gain profiles sounded too similar. Eventually sold kemper and...went back to tube amp. Limited versality but less to worry about ;) 
    As history has told us, there are huge benefits for not using things how they were intended.  ;)
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.