NBD

AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1680
edited October 2019 in Bass
I've been playing bass more often and I only have one , so it was time to buy a backup. As I plan to build a bass next year I didn't want to spend loads of money. This Harley Benton cost only €129 from Thomann, with free shipping. Wow!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6028sbfui5fimqu/HB Bass.jpg?raw=1

OK, so under the sunburst photo finish it's probably a multi-piece basswood body, and the humbucker pickup is a bit noisy in single coil mode. But setup out the box was good, as are the fret ends, and it plays well.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    That is insanely cheap! Looks pretty decent as well! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    under the sunburst photo finish it's probably a multi-piece basswood body
    Is it a really photo or a waffur theeen veneer? The usual giveaway is a rear comfort contour that is entirely finished in the dark solid colour of the 'burst.

AustrianJohn said:
    the humbucker pickup is a bit noisy in single coil mode. 
    Presumably, this is engaged via a push-pull pot? IMHO, without the third coil of the real thing, series/parallel switching might prove more useful. Parallel is the normal sound. Series is slightly louder and considerably thicker - to the extent that you may consider it dull and barely usable.

This Harley Benton cost only €129 from Thomann, with free shipping. Wow!
    Stunning value! That figure would not buy an American-made replacement pickup.  :3
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • @Funkfingers Yes, the back is all dark. 

No push-pull. There are two volumes (one for each half of the humbucker) and one tone pot.
    No push-pull. There are two volumes (one for each half of the humbucker) and one tone pot.
    That is how the old OLP 'Ray basses were wired. It was never the most practical control arrangement. Hence, plenty of scope for upgrading. :)

Wiring mod/upgrade suggestions, in order of difficulty and expense;
    1. Master Vol., variable coil split, treble roll off.
    2. Master Vol., coil balance panpot, treble roll off.
    3. Master Vol., pickup mode switch*, treble roll off
    4. Master Vol., treble cut/boost, bass cut/boost.

* Two-way = Parallel mode / partial coil split. Three-way = Series/Split/Parallel.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    That is how the old OLP 'Ray basses were wired. It was never the most practical control arrangement.
    AKA a complete waste of time designed by someone who had no idea of what would be useful and just wanted to have three knobs so it looks cosmetically like a Musicman...

Wiring mod/upgrade suggestions, in order of difficulty and expense;
    1. Master Vol., variable coil split, treble roll off.
    2. Master Vol., coil balance panpot, treble roll off.
    3. Master Vol., pickup mode switch*, treble roll off
    4. Master Vol., treble cut/boost, bass cut/boost.
    You're forgetting -

0. Master vol, passive bass cut, standard tone control - by far the easiest, and most useful apart from a full active preamp. All you need is one little capacitor - .0047uF, not .047uF which is the standard tone cap value.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Agreed. Bass cut would create a brighter tone without losing any hum-cancellation.