How much would you pay for your dream guitar?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10226
    I'm spoilt - I see play, sell, set-up so many nice guitars and have done so for over 40 years - Yet I still don't know what the dream guitar is - So many different guitars have so many different great attributes - I admit today that I'm more of a dealer who plays a bit, as against a player who plays 3-5 hours a day

Yes I have access to guitars in the shop/business, but I personally own a few guitars as well - How much would I pay on 1 guitar, then I'm not so sure - But I know I'd rather own 5 guitars worth £15k than 1 guitar worth 15K - Granted I have not spent 15K on 5 guitars in one day, as it is a case of gradual acquirement - But 5 guitars means I don't get bored of 1 guitar - 5 guitars means I can cover most of my needs/desires - 5 guitars means I'm less likely to need another - 1 guitar will always have me wanting more and that is a fact
    Do you find that you can’t bond with those guitars though? If I have too many I don’t prefer any of them if they’re all of good quality. When I thin the herd I find the ones that I really like quicker. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14270
    tFB Trader
    I'm spoilt - I see play, sell, set-up so many nice guitars and have done so for over 40 years - Yet I still don't know what the dream guitar is - So many different guitars have so many different great attributes - I admit today that I'm more of a dealer who plays a bit, as against a player who plays 3-5 hours a day

Yes I have access to guitars in the shop/business, but I personally own a few guitars as well - How much would I pay on 1 guitar, then I'm not so sure - But I know I'd rather own 5 guitars worth £15k than 1 guitar worth 15K - Granted I have not spent 15K on 5 guitars in one day, as it is a case of gradual acquirement - But 5 guitars means I don't get bored of 1 guitar - 5 guitars means I can cover most of my needs/desires - 5 guitars means I'm less likely to need another - 1 guitar will always have me wanting more and that is a fact
    Do you find that you can’t bond with those guitars though? If I have too many I don’t prefer any of them if they’re all of good quality. When I thin the herd I find the ones that I really like quicker. 
    The 5 guitars that I personally own I've had for many years and think I know them - I sometimes borrow the odd used guitar from the shop - Something I think I like, often more vintage - Think that I like it or want to like it, but go back to an old faithful and it instantly feels more familiar - Not that the old vintage I borrow is not good, it is not just as 'familiar' or has more limitations

I often say that I can dismiss a guitar in 10/20 seconds that I know I don't like it or rate it - But how much I like it can take longer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    Went through a phase of spending big on acoustics, easy to go a bit mad in that area.. Loads over £5k, a few between £7k & £8k. Have now knocked that on the head, been happy with one acoustic for a while now. With electrics had generally not gone over around £4K, but earlier this year bought a vintage Strat at more than double that..

Only thing I know for sure, is that my meagre talents do not anywhere near align with this sort of spending on guitars, but I have no other real vices these days, so why not.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I'll need to change my answer to £2667 apparently...

https://reverb.com/uk/item/6421857-fano-alt-de-facto-px6-guitar-tim-pierce-owned-screamin-p-90s

Glad it's an old listing or I might have done something silly.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    thegummy said:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/6421857-fano-alt-de-facto-px6-guitar-tim-pierce-owned-screamin-p-90s

Oof that is lush
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    £220

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22897
    edited October 2019
    thegummy said:

That's £2,667 plus VAT and import duty...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    edited October 2019 tFB Trader
    PhilKing said:
    I'm extremely lucky in being old enough to have bought vintage guitars before they started to get stupidly expensive.  At the time I was buying them, the most expensive was my 1955 Les Paul Custom, which @WezV ;; just restored for me.  I've got about $5,500 in that, but for what it is, it isn't a lot.  My most expensive single purchase for a long time was my Feline Lion 20th anniversary http://www.felineguitars.com/20thAnniversary/20guitar07.html, which was a great purchase.  I've been a fan of Jonathan's work for a long time and was playing it yesterday and regularly pick it over may others to use.  

@PhilKing - we have a new website so your link is no longer current, so I've put the pic you want above!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited October 2019
    I spent £4K on a guitar built for me a year ago. It’s been my dream guitar for about 15 years. My dream guitar would never look like a strat, Tele, les Paul etc. Has to relatively unique and of course totally to my spec and preferences 

Any other guitars I buy now will be the standard, Strat or tele etc. Modestly priced compared to my main guitar
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I spent £4K on a guitar built for me a year ago. It’s been my dream guitar for about 15 years. My dream guitar would never look like a strat, Tele, les Paul etc. Has to relatively unique and of course totally to my spec and preferences 

Any other guitars I buy now will be the standard, Strat or tele etc. Modestly priced compared to my main guitar
    Let's see it then :)
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    thegummy said:

Let's see it then :)
    It’s in my avatar / profile picture 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/