Brass pickguard screws

phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
edited October 2019 in Making & Modding

can you buy solid brass pickguard screws.

I thought they would look good and a bit more classy than the gold ones but so far I have failed to find brass screws of the correct size and head type

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 761
    edited October 2019
    Sorry, I can't direct you to a specific supplier or website, but you may find something suitable if you are happy to accept slot head screws. I did find some (quite) a few years ago but I had to be creative in where to look. I can't now remember if they came from an antique clock repair suppliers or a modelling/model engineering suppliers, but they were a slotted raised countersunk head pretty much identical in shape and size to a Fender pickguard screw. Anyway, perhaps Googleing for modelling/model engineering and/or horology might turn something up!
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    nothing so far the nearest I can find are 3/4 inch long not the 1/2 inch I need and then they are slot head screws
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Just lightly tarnish the gold plating. It wears off quicker than a hangover anyway...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Any guitar old enough to have had brass screws from new will be almost forty years old. By now, the clear lacquer will have worn off and the exposed brass tarnished to almost black. Might as well replace with screws electroplated black to begin with.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    Any guitar old enough to have had brass screws from new will be almost forty years old. By now, the clear lacquer will have worn off and the exposed brass tarnished to almost black. Might as well replace with screws electroplated black to begin with.

I have a 2001 MIM strat brass screws was not fitted originally however the screws that are in it now have indeed gone black