Buying a Car (Learner edition)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    thebreeze said:
    As well as Marmalade (which Erictheweary uses), we just insured our 17yr old provisional learner with Veygo for £100 from now until mid January.  That's for a Subaru Forester 2L so probably more expensive than some.
    Wow, that's pretty good. Do you know what it will be when she passes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ThorpyFX said:
    Why dont you ask @Emp_Fab for some help, I'm pretty sure he can give the most succinct and poignant advice fo anyone here with regards to car purchasing.  Also a fringe benefit, your daughter will be 22 by the time a decision is made and her insurance costs will be lower.
    Hehe :-)
  • When my daughter was a Learner Driver, she used my car (BMW 320D) and the car survived. She was at Uni at the time, so she got short term periods of insurance with Marmalade to cover her to drive when she was at home. She passed her test this year. I've recently bought her a Citroen C1 - came across a 2 year old top spec one which had only done 8,000 miles. It seems a very decent car to drive. It's insured with her as the main driver, plus me added on. The insurance cost £1200. She decided that she didn't want a black box, as there's potential for you to be penalised, and this can be unfair (the black box won't differentiate between bad driving and having to take avoidance action). Could have saved maybe £200 if she'd had one fitted.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2292
    Just been through this. I ended up buying a Fiat Punto Grande the one that has 5 doors and decent interior space. V cheap to insure. The 1.4 has just enough to not feel too lacking and it can genuinely be used as a decent second car. Ok to drive and good for a learner. Doesn’t look too awful outside the house thanks to Pinafarina design. 
    When my daughter was a Learner Driver, she used my car (BMW 320D) and the car survived. She was at Uni at the time, so she got short term periods of insurance with Marmalade to cover her to drive when she was at home. She passed her test this year. I've recently bought her a Citroen C1 - came across a 2 year old top spec one which had only done 8,000 miles. It seems a very decent car to drive. It's insured with her as the main driver, plus me added on. The insurance cost £1200. She decided that she didn't want a black box, as there's potential for you to be penalised, and this can be unfair (the black box won't differentiate between bad driving and having to take avoidance action). Could have saved maybe £200 if she'd had one fitted
    Thanks Dave, that's really useful info. £1200 actually sounds a lot better than I'd thought.
    rze99 said:
    Just been through this. I ended up buying a Fiat Punto Grande the one that has 5 doors and decent interior space. V cheap to insure. The 1.4 has just enough to not feel too lacking and it can genuinely be used as a decent second car. Ok to drive and good for a learner. Doesn’t look too awful outside the house thanks to Pinafarina design. 
    Can I ask how much it was to insure?
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2806
    Lodious said:
    thebreeze said:
    As well as Marmalade (which Erictheweary uses), we just insured our 17yr old provisional learner with Veygo for £100 from now until mid January.  That's for a Subaru Forester 2L so probably more expensive than some.
    Wow, that's pretty good. Do you know what it will be when she passes.
    I've no idea as we haven't looked into it yet but I'm pretty much dreading it tbh!
  • Lodious said:
    When my daughter was a Learner Driver, she used my car (BMW 320D) and the car survived. She was at Uni at the time, so she got short term periods of insurance with Marmalade to cover her to drive when she was at home. She passed her test this year. I've recently bought her a Citroen C1 - came across a 2 year old top spec one which had only done 8,000 miles. It seems a very decent car to drive. It's insured with her as the main driver, plus me added on. The insurance cost £1200. She decided that she didn't want a black box, as there's potential for you to be penalised, and this can be unfair (the black box won't differentiate between bad driving and having to take avoidance action). Could have saved maybe £200 if she'd had one fitted
    Thanks Dave, that's really useful info. £1200 actually sounds a lot better than I'd thought.
    I've realised one thing that I didn't mention. My daughter's 24 years old. I don't know how much difference this will make, as compared with getting insurance for a teenager.
    Ah yes, that might make a difference. Thanks for letting me know
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    Skoda Citigo/VW UP/Seat Mii - All the same car, but the VW will cost you more to buy. 
    We have the Citigo for the wife to pootle to work in/shopping/round town etc, and its brilliant. No experience of what it will cost to insure for a learner but i cant see it being being anymore than the cheapest thing out there.

Would be a cracking car for a learner though, small, easy to drive, very frugal and cheap tax. 
    nick79 said:
    Skoda Citigo/VW UP/Seat Mii - All the same car, but the VW will cost you more to buy. 
    We have the Citigo for the wife to pootle to work in/shopping/round town etc, and its brilliant. No experience of what it will cost to insure for a learner but i cant see it being being anymore than the cheapest thing out there.

Would be a cracking car for a learner though, small, easy to drive, very frugal and cheap tax. 
    Yeah, I've seen a few of these about. They look nice. Definitely a contender.