Jerry donahue vintage v58 tele ..opinions ,any good ?

What's Hot
mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
As title ,Ive watched the reviews on you tube and you can get decent strat sounds as well as the trad tele sounds with the 5 way switch,Im thinking of selling my classic vibe custom tele and getting one of these ,anyone tried or owned one ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14559
    Not tried the JHS/Vintage JD model but I used to own a Fender MIJ JD Telecaster. 

In my opinion, the Strat/Tele compromise is never entirely satisfactory in either direction. Tele twang demands the stamped steel bridge. The Strat "boing" comes from its vibrato tension springs and cavity. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    The trouble with vintage is that it is such an unsexy brand, and a stupid name as well. I tried a few Vintage guitars about 20 years ago, didn't like any of them to be honest. All a bit meh. 
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    2 not impressed anyone else ? 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    edited October 2019
    Not played one of these but having owned a Fender JD Tele back in the day, I'd disagree it was 'meh'. I wasn't a fan of the bridge pickup so I changed it for a Seymour Duncan  but the rest of it was great. It had a wonderful neck.

I got to play one of Jerry's Peavey Omniacs - this was a shortlived alliance and the guitars were gorgeous. Again, fabulous neck.

I've worked with Jerry in the past (I looked after the Variaxes he used - believe it or not) and know how fastidious he is/was about set up. He also knew exactly what he wanted from a guitar. Therefore I would imagine that he would have had more than a hand in the spec of the neck (as he had with the Fenders and Peaveys) and there would just be a minor question mark in my mind over the pickups in the Vintage - I'm not a fan of Trev Wilkinson's pickups, as I've not heard a set so far I've liked. That isn't to say that they don't have the potential to be ace, as Trev's a very clever guy.

I'd suggest that rather than ask a bunch of brand snobs on a forum what their opinion is, it would be better to go play one for yourself. I've played plenty of guitars that others on here think very highly of that I wouldn't think twice about turning them into firewood. And visa versa. So go try one, and make your own mind up. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    Played one in a shop a while back and really liked it. The neck felt great and even through a relatively quiet Marshall MG I thought it sounded rather good. Definitely worth a try.
    impmann said:
    Not played one of these but having owned a Fender JD Tele back in the day, I'd disagree it was 'meh'. 
    My 'meh' comment was towards Vintage guitars, not all JD models! I liked the Fender when I tried it.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I like Vintage guitars but a lot of people love the CV Tele so I'd think carefully about chopping it in before trying the V58.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    Keep the Classic Vibe .Vintage are good guitars  but as always ....for the price,The JD model is certainly the one to go for if you want a Vintage .If you never like the stratty bits just dont use em .Probably the neck will be thicker than the CV .
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    IIRC Jerry had the wiring refined as he went on so it isn't exactly the same on each of his signature models ( Fender, Peavey, Fret King, Vintage and whatever I've missed). I remember seeing him demonstrate the Omniac and the five different sounds and I think I got it but they are more subtle differences than the marketing might suggest,  I've watched a demo of the Vintage too and I wouldn't say these sounds are not night and day just a nod in the right direction. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14559
    mark123 said:
    not impressed
    impmann said:
    'meh'.
    I wrote neither of those things.

My attitude to the Fender JD Telecaster was founded upon my extreme fussiness about how Telecasters and Stratocasters should sound. My solution is to have both.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I loved the Fret King version I had for a while, it had a really nice V-neck.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5017
    edited October 2019
    axisus said:
    I tried a few Vintage guitars about 20 years ago, didn't like any of them to be honest. All a bit meh. 
    20 years ago you would have been right. The modern stuff is still "budget" but definitely not "meh".
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    mark123 said:
    not impressed
    impmann said:
    'meh'.
    I wrote neither of those things.

My attitude to the Fender JD Telecaster was founded upon my extreme fussiness about how Telecasters and Stratocasters should sound. My solution is to have both.
    Apologies - I misunderstood your comment.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

axisus said:
    I tried a few Vintage guitars about 20 years ago, didn't like any of them to be honest. All a bit meh. 
    20 years ago you would have been right. The modern stuff is still "budget" but definitely not "meh".
    Fair comment!
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    the one i was looking at sold new boxed on e bay fot £220 , wasnt to be thanks for the helpful comments
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1753
    I remember the Jerry Donaghue Fender Stratocaster from the 90's - a wonderful guitar that i was too young and hadn't enough money to buy........

Looked snazzy in that blue colour too
  • gubble said:
    I remember the Jerry Donaghue Fender Stratocaster from the 90's - a wonderful guitar that i was too young and hadn't enough money to buy........

Looked snazzy in that blue colour too
    Yeah, I wanted one of them too. Always found the re-positioned bridge pickup a great idea