NGD Nik Huber Orca

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I wasn't being snidey..... just knew that a really nice Lion was traded & one of the other fretboarders has it now

I wasn't being snidey.
    Nor was I, genuinely just a laughette.
    I reckon it was an incredibly difficult decision, that thankfully I didn't have to make, as frankly I couldn't do it.
    It was a very very tough decision. The feline is a superb guitar I’m sure the next owner will be incredibly happy with it.

It was just time for a change as seems to be the curse of all fretboarders!

What I would say, as I’ve said to Jon privately, when you get to that level of instrument one guitar is not ‘better’ than another. Just different, I’m sure I’ll have another feline and I’m sure I’ll miss that one 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ben_McCarthyBen_McCarthy Frets: 117
    edited October 2019
    tone1 said:
    get that pic in here for all to see 

WOWSER 

Wow what an absolute beaut! Just out of curiosity, is the bridge pickup placement slightly closer to the neck pickup compared to other builder’s Les Pauls? 
    I hadn’t thought of it however looking at that picture it’s possible, I might have a measure later   It’s also 25 inch scale length which may make a difference I suppose 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6720
    tony99 said:
    Orca v Lion, 2 wonders of nature, and 2 exceptionally beautiful guitars ....

cast your votes folks !!
    I have a Lion Cub that I bought from Jon @FelineGuitars and it's exceptional. I don't have words to say how much I love it. I can't talk about Hubers as I've never owned or played one.... Yet. 
  • merlin said:
    tony99 said:

cast your votes folks !!
    I have a Lion Cub that I bought from Jon @FelineGuitars and it's exceptional. I don't have words to say how much I love it. I can't talk about Hubers as I've never owned or played one.... Yet. 
    Sounds lovely, what was your pickup choice? 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11625
    edited October 2019 tFB Trader
    merlin said:
    tony99 said:

cast your votes folks !!
    I think Merlin's Korina bodied (with Walnut topped) Blues Cat had a BKP Mule and Stormy Monday combo 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11625
    tFB Trader
    What pickups are in the Huber Ben?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23048
    edited October 2019
    merlin said:
    tony99 said:

cast your votes folks !!
    I think Merlin's Korina bodied (with Walnut topped) Blues Cat had a BKP Mule and Stormy Monday combo 
    I love the look of that guitar (and its near-twin), and your "Flying V in a Les Paul shape" concept is something which very much appeals to me.
  • What pickups are in the Huber Ben?
    Haussel vin in the neck and a vin+ in the bridge, nice set for the guitar 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6720
    merlin said:
    tony99 said:

cast your votes folks !!
    That's what you told me when I bought it! They are beautifully balanced tonally and give a clarity, warmth, brightness and immediacy that makes it a superbly responsive instrument. I love it to bits. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    tone1 said:
    get that pic in here for all to see 

WOWSER 

Wow what an absolute beaut! Just out of curiosity, is the bridge pickup placement slightly closer to the neck pickup compared to other builder’s Les Pauls? 
    Yes - The Huber Orca bridge pickup placement is indeed further from the bridge than a Gibson Les Paul. I assume an attempt to add a little fatness / warmth to the bridge position.
  • Collings said:
    Previous owner seems to have not taken it down yet! 
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1487
    edited October 2019
    It looks a great guitar, I've never played one but I do have a Feline Lion, so I can imagine the angst you went through in deciding to change.  Jon knows that I'm a big fan of wraparound bridges, so my Lion is very safe 

I have a 25½" scale Les Paul custom build that has the pickups about the same distance from the bridge (which is a wrap around), I do find that there is a lot more harmonic content, but I always put a lot of that down to the scale length difference.
  • PhilKing said:
    It looks a great guitar, I've never played one but I do have a Feline Lion, so I can imagine the angst you went through in deciding to change.  Jon knows that I'm a big fan of wraparound bridges, so my Lion is very safe 

I have a 25½" scale Les Paul custom build that has the pickups about the same distance from the bridge (which is a wrap around), I do find that there is a lot more harmonic content, but I always put a lot of that down to the scale length difference.
    Angst is the right word!

I think the scale length does make a huge difference, I naively thought it only really made a difference as far as feel goes when working within such small margins.