Selling on consignment in or nearish to London - any tips?

What's Hot
teradaterada Frets: 5114
edited October 2019 in Guitar
Apologies for the thread freakout!

I'm thinking of moving on my 335 reissue, and thought perhaps it might be easier to do this through a dedicated shop that takes commission. Any advice or recommendations from those that have done this before would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks all

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’ve sold a few through Charlie Chandler - they’ve always treated me right, everything sold (eventually) and good prices. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3319
    edited October 2019
    Charlie Chandler's are great and it would be a good place for a 335.

They charge 18% commission payable around 21-28 days after the sale and so you need to account for that and be flexible on the price, too.

Edit: My Divided by 13 head sat here unsold for months. It went on the first day at Charlie's
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Thanks for the replies. I’ll get in touch with them and see what they reckon they could get for it. 
  • It's a little bit outside London, but my local shop Leigh Music Co (leighmusicco.co.uk) does commission, and has a lot of stuff that would sit nicely alongside your 335. Tom who runs it is a top bloke, can't remember what he charges for commission but he had one of my amps and when I eventually sold it through eBay he let me have it back with no charge, no hassle or anything.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• I’ve sold a few through Charlie Chandler - they’ve always treated me right, everything sold (eventually) and good prices. 
    +1 great people, realistic about price and always sell. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11465
    edited October 2019
    I've used Charlie Chandler a few times.  He's probably the best option.

Guitar Classics in Wandsworth has a lower commission rate, but he's not got a lot of footfall, and he's very slow at updating his website.  I had a guitar in there for months, and he never actually got around to putting it on his website.  The owner seems like a really nice guy, but not particulary dynamic.

Not sure if I should mention the name, as it was something I read on here, but don't have all the details to back it up.  There is one shop (not mentioned yet in this thread) that was apparently caught out telling the seller they got less for a guitar than they actually sold it for.  Somehow the seller and buyer ended up in contact afterwards, and it turned out the that buyer paid about three or four hundred more than the shop told the seller they had sold it for.  The shop pocketed the difference.  You should be able to find the details in an old thread somewhere from the horses mouth if you can come up with the right search term.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Taking into account the 18% commission, you could always stick it on here at a good price and arrange to meet up at Kempton Park tomorrow.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11465
    uncledick said:
    Taking into account the 18% commission, you could always stick it on here at a good price and arrange to meet up at Kempton Park tomorrow.
    Charlie does normally get a significantly better price than you could get in a private sale.

I sold a guitar on consignment once, after advertising it on here.  After the commission was taken off I got £200 more than anyone offered me on here.
  • I've sold though and traded with Graham at guitar classics and he is a gent. No bullshit - unlike the other shop near by and NOT mentioned above - and he only takes 10%. Yep, he doesn't update his website often enough but most of his trade is through the customers that walk through his door. 
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    Similar positive experience with Graham. Must have sold 6 or 7 to/via him over the years and always a gent and has worked well for me. Timeframes for sales can be hit n miss for the reasons others have said. I also don’t think he ships so it is only sales to people who go into his store