Elliptical Strap Buttons

What's Hot
JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
Anyone tried these? Look - in theory - like they could be an elegant solution to an age-old problem. Until they rotate 90 degrees :D 

Planet Waves Elliptical End Pins - Chrome https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005FKF3L6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_oT.SDbEH9ZYFK
Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited October 2019
    I have them on one guitar and want to get more. They work well as long as you make sure they don't unfasten when the strap is being turned. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    They're a good idea but they mess with the tone of the guitar too much. I think it's the extra mass they impart.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Branshen said:
    I have them on one guitar and want to get more. They work well as long as you make sure they don't unfasten when the strap is being turned
    I liked the idea so put them on one guitar, but I’ve found it impossible to stop them turning, making them worse than useless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    mart said:
    Branshen said:
    I have them on one guitar and want to get more. They work well as long as you make sure they don't unfasten when the strap is being turned
    I liked the idea so put them on one guitar, but I’ve found it impossible to stop them turning, making them worse than useless.
    Wiz’d for saving me six quid. Back to the drawing board!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I have a set on my Ibanez. 

I used the original screws not the ones that came with them, and when I put them on I tightened them up in the correct position and they havent moved yet.. but I havent used it with a strap much lately so... 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I got some Diago strap pins along with other bits and pieces as a consolation for waiting ages for a replacement psu due to product recall. I haven't used them but they look like a good prospect for strap security.

https://www.jhs.co.uk/brands/diago/diago-twistlock-straplocks-chrome
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    mart said:
    Branshen said:
    To clarify. The strap pin itself doesn't turn on my guitar. I'm referring to the strap turning. I think your problem is a different one. 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Branshen said:
    mart said:
    Branshen said:
    To clarify. The strap pin itself doesn't turn on my guitar. I'm referring to the strap turning. I think your problem is a different one. 
    Ok, that does sound different. My problem is the button turning relative to the guitar.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4194
    The old Ibanez Vee shape strap buttons from the 80”s were excellent bits of kit
  • nice idea but its not playing authentic
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7063
    tFB Trader
    In the early 80s Gibson used diamond-shaped strap buttons (same idea). They have a raised patterm on the base that stops them from rotating when tightened .