'Real' guitar auctions as opposed to The Bay

What's Hot
StanleyAccringtonStanleyAccrington Frets: 264
edited October 2019 in Guitar
Does anyone peruse/buy guitars from guitar specific auctions? Either attending in person or registering for phone or internet bids. Even allowing for buyers fees and tax, I've seen some pretty decent guitars eventually sold at prices less than I expected them to sell for/less than the auction house estimates. Ok....I understand that you may need to arrange and pay the cost  for a courier to collect any purchases and get them to you if you can't attend on the day. Some guitars and the prices that they sold for include ;-

1960s Vox Stroller  £130.
1959 Hofner Senator  £280.
1969 Gibson EB 3  £400.
1984 Rickenbacker 350  £720.
1964 Burns Nu Sonic  £310.
1974 Yamaha SG45 £290.

All guitars looked and described as in  decent nick!!

Addendum......The 69 Gibson EB3 has had a neck repair!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7131
    edited October 2019
    can you get me one of those gibbo 69er's please? cash waiting

edit: eeeugh it's a bass, feel dirty now
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99 said:

Sorry tony99. The EB 3 is the only bass on the list. But hey.....everyone should have at least one bass in their collection. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    tony99 said:

Sorry tony99. The EB 3 is the only bass on the list. But hey.....everyone should have at least one bass in their collection. 
    Why?? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1357
    I have bought twice from GH auction. Both times I attended. In my opinion it is worth having a number of potential purchases in mind, particularly if travelling a good distance, then buying what is decent value. I always buy cars and often furniture at auction. I don't resent the mark up in buying from a reputable dealer, but I am confident enough in my ability to make a judgement to buy in the auction room.
    Dont expect a retail experience, though.
  • Does anyone peruse/buy guitars from guitar specific auctions? Either attending in person or registering for phone or internet bids. Even allowing for buyers fees and tax, I've seen some pretty decent guitars eventually sold at prices less than I expected them to sell for/less than the auction house estimates. Ok....I understand that you may need to arrange and pay the cost  for a courier to collect any purchases and get them to you if you can't attend on the day. Some guitars and the prices that they sold for include ;-

1969 Gibson EB 3  £400.
    1974 Yamaha SG45 £290.

Not always the bargain they seem. Firstly theres a buyers premium of 20% plus VAT to add on top of that. So if my calculations are correct a rickenbacker sold for £720 would actually cost you  £892.80.

Also its easy to be optimistic about the value of something just going by photos. People who have viewed it in person may have spotted some issues with it, and thats why it has sold so cheaply.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 710
    Does anyone peruse/buy guitars from guitar specific auctions? Either attending in person or registering for phone or internet bids. Even allowing for buyers fees and tax, I've seen some pretty decent guitars eventually sold at prices less than I expected them to sell for/less than the auction house estimates. Ok....I understand that you may need to arrange and pay the cost  for a courier to collect any purchases and get them to you if you can't attend on the day. Some guitars and the prices that they sold for include ;-

1969 Gibson EB 3  £400.
    1974 Yamaha SG45 £290.

Not always the bargain they seem. Firstly theres a buyers premium of 20% plus VAT to add on top of that. So if my calculations are correct a rickenbacker sold for £720 would actually cost you  £892.80.

Also its easy to be optimistic about the value of something just going by photos. People who have viewed it in person may have spotted some issues with it, and thats why it has sold so cheaply.
    Yeah, both the times I've checked out a Gardiner Holgate auction I've found myself wondering if the buyers don't know the market or are just lousy at maths. I can't remember a single bargain from either auction.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033

1969 Gibson EB 3  £400.
    1974 Yamaha SG45 £290.

Yeah, both the times I've checked out a Gardiner Holgate auction I've found myself wondering if the buyers don't know the market or are just lousy at maths. I can't remember a single bargain from either auction.

Amen to that. 

As I’ve said before, GH stuff is often...errrr... *optimistically* described online/in print - and the 20% + VAT doesn’t make for ‘bargain buys’.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Aye....you're right lads n lasses. Probably not the 'bargains' that I initially thought that they were. Was basically looking for a cheap/bargain buy year of birth guitar for myself. Was nice looking at some old/vintage guitars though.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Back in 2015 I bought a Gretsch G6120AM from GH as a present to myself for my 50th birthday.

I didn’t attend the auction in person, but they did send me all the photos I needed of the guitar. I left my highest bid with them and I actually got the guitar for less than I was prepared to pay - including their commission. 

They recommended a company that would ship the guitar, that I ended up using. Guitar arrived very well packaged and it was pretty much mint, I doubt it had ever been played. Over the moon I was!

I’ve perused their catalogue on occasions since, but haven’t happened across anything I’ve considered to be enough of a bargain to purchase. In fact their estimates started going silly so I’ve pretty much stopped looking these days.
    We are all Chameleons...
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I bought an old Yamaha at GH last year, maybe early this. By no means a bargain but I’m local and I was after the particular model. 
    GV spend a lot there so the hammer prices are generally still less than retail

im not sure we should expect bargains at a guitar specific sale. When they pop up at the jumble sale auctions it can be a different story. I’ve done ok at those sales. Few and far between though. 

Off topic, but...

@TonyR - that’s a fine pic you have there. One of my all-time fave LPs... :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908

Off topic, but...

Cheers @HarrySeven - my favourite band!
    We are all Chameleons...
  • I think everyone’s idea of a guitar auction is one where that 57 strat goes for tuppence which is La la land. The GH one attracts people from all over and their sale prices reflect that, folks complain about their charges but  they are being transparent in what they get from a sale yet, folks rarely ask for a dealer to do the same and probably wouldn’t get an answer. The other thing to remember is it is a specific piece of kit your bidding on, so if your looking for a red unicorn and they have one in the auction, unless you know of a unicorn supplier, the one in the auction is the only one available that  your going to see On the day and have to outbid everyone else who wants one.

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TonyR said:

Off topic, but...

Cheers @HarrySeven - my favourite band!
    Ditto! :)