Higher Value Tone Pot

What's Hot
 I’d like to squeeze a little bit more “brightness“ out of a two humbucker guitar.  Otherwise it sounds rather nice...

I find myself wondering whether increasing the value of the tone pot (from 450K to 500K) will make a difference or do I need to go up to a 1K pot?

Expert opinions deeply appreciated 

Jay
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• No matter how good your hearing is, you won't hear any difference between 450 or 500. :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 836
     I rather suspected  that.

I was just hoping that it would make a similar difference to that between 8 and 10 on a tone control...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    1M might make a small difference, but still not much. A no-load control would make slightly more.

But using a lower-capacitance cable, or just shorter, would be at least as effective probably.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    edited October 2019
    ICBM said:
    1M might make a small difference, but still not much. 
    Furthermore, because most of the action is between 10 and 7, the 1Meg tone pot is no fun to use. 

IMO, the only place where a 1Meg pot makes a significant difference is in a Fender Jaguar. It is still terrible to use but, in those guitars, nothing else sounds right.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    450k-550k - no difference
    500k pot to 1Meg pot - probably a difference, but negligible
    have you tried changing capacitor value or as @ICBM suggests using different cable.

yes as Gary suggests, I’d even wager no audible difference (to the human ear) between 400k-600k 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials

Furthermore, because most of the action is between 10 and 7, the 1Meg tone pot is no fun to use.
    If you get a proper Log pot - as opposed to a cheap one that aren’t - then they’re fine. Turning down to about 8 brings it down to 500K and then it works just like a normal 500K pot.

I’d even wager no audible difference (to the human ear) between 400k-600k 
    That’s about where you start to hear it, but only just. When I did some direct-switching testing with extra resistors, the minimum difference that could be definitely heard was about 25% below the base value, and 33% above. 600K is 50% above 400K so I think you’d hear that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RolandRoland Frets: 8767
    It’s also worth thinking about increasing the value of the volume pot too.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    ICBM said:
    If you get a proper Log pot - as opposed to a cheap one that aren’t - then they’re fine.
    I wouldn’t call CTS or DiMarzio Pro Parts particularly cheap.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Funkfingers said:

I wouldn’t call CTS or DiMarzio Pro Parts particularly cheap.
    Then I'm very surprised they don't work properly. The CTS one I put in my PRS was a very smooth, perfectly even taper all the way down, so every number setting was distinguishable from the one above or below - and that was a push-pull too! Often notorious for not being as good as a normal pot.