Powered Wedge Monitor Recommendation

What's Hot
bennyg85bennyg85 Frets: 64
edited October 2019 in Live
Hi

I'm looking for recommendations for a powered speaker model to use as wedges.

Requirements are:
  • 10 inch woofer
  • Robust/reliable
  • Repairable where required (I understand you can't get parts for a lot of these speakers)
  • Lightweight
  • Shaped so they can be used as tops as well as monitors if required
We currently use Mackie SRM350 v3 but however much I EQ them and play with the settings, the mids don't sound quite right.

I'm looking at used Yamahas, Altos and RCFs and would be grateful of your experiences and recommendations. Looking to spend £200/speaker max used.

Thanks

Ben
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10710
    edited October 2019
    I use carlsbro, 1 powered and 1 slave. They do 10,12 and 15”. 

I use 12” and swapped my speakers out to V30
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Turbosound M10 Milan.
    You can (if you search) still get them new for about £240. They are proper plug and play as regards Eq. They have no right sounding that good at that price, mind you thier replacement th iq10 is about £485. A lot of Pro sound hire Companies use the range and give good reports on sound and reliability.
  • Thank you kindly. The search begins!
  • DB technologies Flexsys FM10
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I had the Alto TS210 and it was great for putting the Helix through for my own personal monitoring. Wedge shaped but have holes in the bottom to put them on a pole if required
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3665
    I use an Alto TS210 as a ‘back line’ for my Kemper / Helix.  I have mine pole mounted at the back of the stage.  These days I use In Ear Monitors but in the past I’ve used one of these https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_pro_mon_a10.htm

The problem with using the Alto as a ‘wedge’ monitor is that the tilt angle isn’t really sufficient so you need to place them several feet in front of you.
  • RCF 310A's totally brilliant little cab...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve had proel wd12’s in hire stock for the last 3 years and can thoroughly recommend them they do a 10 inch one. 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Thank you for taking the time to make a recommendation. Much appreciated!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited October 2019
    DB technologies Flexsys FM10
    More than £200, and not particularly light weight. But agree, they are brilliant little monitors 
  • FezFez Frets: 528
    Have the tweeters blown on the SRM350's? I have two that used to sound great have blown tweeters so if I can't get them repaired I am going to replace them with Yamaha's got one and it's great.
    Don't touch that dial.