P90s and treble booster

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15981
On overdrive......A good match ya think.....or a touch too much of the same?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14563
    For my tastes, the beauty of a P90-equiped guitar through overdriven valve amplification is that it sounds rude and juicy with enough treble but not too much. 

The risk with a treble booster is that things can become screechy.

I have a 1965 Gibson Melody Maker. I habitually play this with the tone control wound roughly halfway down. Like this, its Skylark single coil pickup sounds surprisingly LP Juniorish. With high gain saturation, turning the tone up destroys the P90 illusion.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10621
    tFB Trader
    I use P90s with a dollop of clean boost into an already steaming amplifier ... makes all the harmonics just ;'pop out' a bit more.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I don't find they make the sound too trebly. I think the term treble booster is misleading, people seem to think they sound all ice-picky. They're more of an upper mid and dirt boost.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4280
    edited October 2019
    Sassafras said:
    I don't find they make the sound too trebly. I think the term treble booster is misleading, people seem to think they sound all ice-picky. They're more of an upper mid and dirt boost.
    Would definitely agree with that on the Treble Boosters. Would also say that P90's are not necessarily particularly bright, or not any brighter than a lot of humbuckers anyway. Find myself rolling the tone off way more often on a bridge PAF type pickup, than on most P90's.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    Worked for Iommi.... :)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    edited October 2019
    Sassafras said:
    Yeah I was put off them for a while because of that. I really like how dirty/gritty they make the sound, without actually adding loads of gain.