Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New 2020 PRS SC594 smokes 50s LPs

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    Regardless of sound, PRS guitars finish doesn't feel as nice as a nitro finished Gibson
    Disagree.

My personal chemistry means that nitro becomes sticky and unpleasant on the back of Gibson necks when I sweat on stage. I don’t get that with PRS necks
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Regardless of sound, PRS guitars finish doesn't feel as nice as a nitro finished Gibson
    Hmm, which one(s)?

- original acrylic
    - v12 finish
    - satin nitro
    - gloss nitro (over acrylic)
    - CAB nitro
    - nitro neck, acrylic body

My new (old) one feels fantastic - the acrylic has sunk into the grain, and it doesn’t have that slightly sticky feeling that my gibson SG still has seven years after it was made.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Regardless of sound, PRS guitars finish doesn't feel as nice as a nitro finished Gibson
    Hmm, which one(s)?

- original acrylic
    - v12 finish
    - satin nitro
    - gloss nitro (over acrylic)
    - CAB nitro
    - nitro neck, acrylic body

My new (old) one feels fantastic - the acrylic has sunk into the grain, and it doesn’t have that slightly sticky feeling that my gibson SG still has seven years after it was made.
    What's CAB nitro? 

I was never sure why they used to finish maple necks in nitro but the bodies in acrylic.
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited October 2019
    I’d still love a prs as they look great and feel great.

Though my USA Tremonti was the most sterile sounding guitar I’ve ever owned and despite a pickup swap it was exactly the same 

I was gutted 
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Sounds like you need to try more and find one that speaks to you, exactly the same as with Gibsons, Fenders, Music Mans etc etc.  :)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23048
    The video is interesting and was mentioned on the long-running "PRS - fashionable again?" thread a couple of days ago. 

If I was looking to buy one or the other (I'm not, particularly), I'd take into account other factors like the weight, the neck profile, the PRS' improved upper-fret access and body contouring.... how close they sound is almost immaterial, because either is going to sound shite in my hands.

PRS adopting some kind of nitro finish for 2020 is an interesting development, it crosses one thing off many people's list of objections.
    From what I've read/heard, it's the Private Stock nitro finish that they're adding to the core line 594s and McCartys.  If true, and I'll know when I play one, I'm going to be seriously tempted to pick up a 2020 SC594.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Adam_MD seems to be this, it’s the new one introduced for 2020:

CAB lacquer is typically made from a mixture of a cellulose resin called cellulose acetate butyrate (CAB) and acrylic. It is sometimes labeled as CAB-acrylic lacquer. This finish has the same general properties of nitrocellulose lacquer, except it is much whiter and yellows less over time. It also has slightly better heat resistance and is less brittle. CAB lacquer is an ideal finish for light-colored woods because it preserves the light color. However, it is more expensive and lacks some of the clarity of standard lacquer.”

http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood-finishes/lacquer/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It looks like they're using the CAB finish right across the core line for 2020 - Custom 22, Custom 24, McCarty, DGT, the whole shebang.
    Awesome!
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    @Adam_MD seems to be this, it’s the new one introduced for 2020:

” CAB lacquer is typically made from a mixture of a cellulose resin called cellulose acetate butyrate (CAB) and acrylic. It is sometimes labeled as CAB-acrylic lacquer. This finish has the same general properties of nitrocellulose lacquer, except it is much whiter and yellows less over time. It also has slightly better heat resistance and is less brittle. CAB lacquer is an ideal finish for light-colored woods because it preserves the light color. However, it is more expensive and lacks some of the clarity of standard lacquer.”

http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood-finishes/lacquer/
    Ah that's why I hadn't heard of it then.  Cheers
    Just noticed, in that still at the top of the thread Howard Leese looks like Mark Williams of Fast Show/Father Brown fame.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited October 2019
    I’d still love a prs as they look great and feel great.

Though my USA Tremonti was the most sterile sounding guitar I’ve ever owned and despite a pickup swap it was exactly the same 

I was gutted 
    I’m surprised re your experience of the USA  Tremonti - mines markedly different ... warm responsive articulate and all those other adjectives that really don’t adequately describe a guitar that simply  works well ... 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    The original PRS finish is way tougher than the modern V12. My 2014 Custom 24 dung up a lot quicker than my 2000 CU22. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    jeztone2 said:
    The original PRS finish is way tougher than the modern V12. My 2014 Custom 24 dung up a lot quicker than my 2000 CU22. 

The old finish doesn't look good when it does ding though. I saw a heavily used late 80's PRS a while back. It had not aged nearly as well as a nitro finished Gibson or Fender would have.

I was a bit wary of the V12 when they bought it out - precisely because you have no idea how it will hold up over time, and how well it will age.

• crunchman said:
    jeztone2 said:

The old finish doesn't look good when it does ding though. I saw a heavily used late 80's PRS a while back. It had not aged nearly as well as a nitro finished Gibson or Fender would have.

I was a bit wary of the V12 when they bought it out - precisely because you have no idea how it will hold up over time, and how well it will age.

I’ll get some pics of my ‘87 up in the next week or so, it’s quite roadworn but I can’t say it looks bad for it - in my opinion! I’ve only had one v12 model (unless S2s are finished in it too?), but can’t say I noticed any particular difference in feel or durability on mine
    crunchman said:
    The first time I saw a proper PRS up close, 20-odd years ago I bought an EG from a guy who showed me his main guitar, a PRS Custom (24 fret presumably).  I remember he had it in a Reunion Blues gigbag and there was a big oval patch of wear, right down to the wood, on the top where you might rest your fingers.  I've often thought about it since, I don't know how he got it so battered in just a few years.
  • I'd like to give one of these a try as it's all about the feel.
    @guitargeek62 I see that MannMade USA flyer there, did that come with the guitar?  PRS nowadays don't seem to say much about who makes their parts and components.